3 failed business, I’m Ready for #4

nbrown83

Throughout my life I’ve owned small businesses. Started from 1st grade my mom built a company out of our basement and I learned from her that it was possible to be your own boss. I started a landscape company when I was 12. By 16 I was making $60,000 a year and employing 1-2 kids to work for me. By 26 I had annual sales grossing over $750,000 with 5 full time employees. One thing that was never taught to me was MONEY MANAGEMENT! I lost everything due to negligence on my end, I honestly had no idea how to pay taxes, how to watch my expenses, nothing… now that I’ve grown up a little (32) I have learned how to control my money. I’m wanting to get back into a business, but I’m not sure where to start. I can not get back into landscaping because of my living situation. I’m in a small apartment in Pittsburgh. What would you guys suggest for a company that deals with manual labor and doesn’t require much overhead/equipment/storage.

@charles72 I second this. I own a small commercial construction company and we did this successfully for years. Also, my neighbor is a very successful landscaper and he has been doing this for more than a decade. You can even find self storage that caters to RVs and has water available to you. Mine also had a small shared dumpster we all used. This is an extremely manageable solution.

Some even let you receive large material deliveries on large trucks.

Shop around. There is no reason to not look into this route other than start up costs for rent and equipment.

@charles72 The start up cost is too high for me at this point. I ran out of a storage unit for years until I found a nice farm that I could rent out. I would jump back into landscaping in a second if it was feasible