Accounting giant EY is tracking its return-to-work push with ‘turnstile access data’—and many workers aren’t even making it 2 days a week

@aguest000
many workers aren’t even making it 2 days a week

…and?

You're trying to enforce a policy without much introspection or feedback on why that policy is useful. That's your problem, not the employees' actions.

@aguest000 My company tracks days in the office using the badge readers we use to get in the office.

The nice(?) thing is we don't have to badge out so they don't really know how long we are there.

@mary57 Mine does it from WiFi access logs, so they have a pretty good idea of when you're in and when you're out. That said, WFH is a firmly entrenched policy at this point, so afaik the data is only used to get an accurate measure of office utilisation for capacity planning etc.

@mary57
The nice(?) thing is we don't have to badge out

Amazon tracks badge in and out, and knows exactly how long you've been there. Most of my coworkers were showing up around 11:45 and leaving around 12:30 after getting lunch together. The smart ones would swing by again after traffic to get a second badge so at least it looked like they were onsite all day.

As far as I know they aren't enforcing hours in the office just yet.

@aguest000 So what happens if a near totality of their employees are snubbing the requirement? Are they going to fire their entire workforce? At some point, businesses that keep trying to push this horseshit are going to have it backfire spectacularly.

@dinosaursareawsome I don’t think there will be a big “strike” scenario. More realistic is that these types of companies will bleed their best and brightest (and the employees they invested heaviest into to develop) until their business becomes so impacted that it ruins the business or the managers change their policy.