Advice on unconventional potential cofounder

carlo1

I met someone through YC Co-founder matching. I like them but here are few concerns :
  1. I am 36, he is 58. Do you see a problem with such a huge age difference? I mean, I can get along with them well, but it would be hard to be casual with and enjoy being with them if there is such an age difference.
  2. He is too much experienced and senior to me. I am individual contributor in FANNG, he has been CEO and held various C level positions for last 15 years. My total experience is not even 15 years. (We have agreed on 50-50 split already)
  3. I will clearly be close to technical things (he can't code) and he will naturally gravitate towards business dev and sales etc. I wasn't looking for "complementary skills" since I had already planned to do PMF, sales, growth etc but if I go with him, we will have complementary skills which according to YC is a bad idea.
I am looking for some general advice how to navigate through it. I can see that if I work with him, there would be so much to learn from him and that can be great for my personal development. I can also see that he has very good understanding of how to build a startup as compared to other folks I have met on the platform. But I am also scared because this relationship seems very atypical. Help!

@lonleftwingforjc Agree that there are pros and cons. Like the same with the opposite situation. But I guess the risks are very important for potential investors. I can see where they come from by calling it “bad”. Do you see the risks issue?

@chosenbychrist Yeah, but complimentary doesn't necessarily imply that the 2 work in silos. There will always be some overlap. This sounds overtly paranoid, if this is an actual criteria.

How is having a team of 2 developers better than a team of 1 developer and 1 marketer?

@carlo1 Despite the focus on younger entrepreneurs: the statistics actually show those in their late 50s are the peak age for successfully founding a company that grows large.

There is sometimes a cultural gap between technical and business people in general, so there may be a gap with anyone brought in to handle the business side. You need to adapt to being colleagues, not necessarily the same type of friends you may be with people you've worked with closer to your age.

Age gaps can be like the culture gaps with those from other countries (or subcultures in ours), it can merely take a while to learn how to bridge them but it can be worth it (as those who found companies with those born elsewhere, or in a different context those who marry people born in another country would say, despite adaptation required). Until I was 30 or so I hadn't hung out much with older people, but then various interest groups I went to had mostly people in their 50s and older and I realized it merely was something I wasn't used to. I got used to it fairly quickly. I'd suggest once you get your mid twenties, the gap isn't as large as you might think in terms of ability to get along when focused on a particular topic/task, even if they aren't the same sorts of friends you might have in your inner circle.

My first venture was bootstrapped with two 30ish technical founders doing their first venture, and while we were lifestyle-business level profitable, it may be part of the reason we didn't raise the funds that might have made it grown larger was not having someone with that experience involved. (and not being in the Bay area or a tech hub then). We both grasped business, but he was more extroverted and socially polished and took on the CEO role. The overlap was somewhat useful, but was a source of tension.

I would suggest, if you hadn't, if there is overlap getting clear who has the last say on issues since I'm guessing its your idea. In my case I'm a technical founder who grasps strategy and business overall, but management and operations aren't my thing. I will bring in someone who might be COO but perhaps even CEO as long as I'm chair and have final overall say.

Someone suggested the issue that having overlapping skill sets de-risks things so mistakes can be caught, which is true we found, but I'd suggest the first issue is trying to have good coverage of all the skills before you worry about overlap. You can always bring in others later as non-founders (or late added founders) that overlap your skills after you have full coverage.

I'm now on the flip side, a technical founder around that guy's age who will need to find a business co-founder (not ready to search yet), and I need to be open to those in their 30s and not merely those older, and of course even moreso for future technical staff.

@carlo1 I would not do it if we were both on our first rodeo. But since you are only an IC in your career so far, his experience, network in the industry, could be valuable. If he has built a business before, especially in the same industry, add 5 more stars to that.

So evaluate on the basis of what he brings to the table and not age. Clear out seniority expectations and roles you will be taking right in the beginning and don’t make any assumptions

@carlo1 Honestly, I think it would be a great experience to build with him. I can imagine a college student in Stanford would probably be hesitant about starting a company with you too. To you, he is unconventional and to him you are probably an unconventional partner as well.
An unconventional co-founder relationship could create something magical! As long as he’s not close minded, and also ready to roll up his sleeves, you both could succeed and you could even benefit from his large network. At 58 I can imagine he probably has enough retirement money but he’s the adventurous type that just loves building & building. There’s also the opportunity to learn from his vast experience. You may not be partners forever but even if you get 5 years working with him before (maybe) an exit, you would’ve learned so much by the time you’re 41 years old.
Starting a startup is about taking risks and doing atypical things. I think you should go for it!

@carlo1 Is he bringing some cash or idea specific knowledge?

I imagine he’s as insecure as you are. On the flip side how would you work with a 21 year old? I’m about your age. I think in many ways it would be the same difference except our age and up have more life experience.

Too much experience?

Also PMF isn’t a thing you can do, many people spend years and never get there.

@carlo1 I am 55 and my co-founder is 39. I have 30 years in sales and marketing and 20 years in the market that we are working in. He has 15 years in programming and software engineering.

We did a 50-50 split.

he is working on the technical side of building a scalable infrastructure. I am working on demand and lead generation, marketing operations, on-boarding, acquisition, pr, and fundraising. This is my 8th business venture and his first.

We complement each other in many ways. I know enough about javascript that i can read his code and tell him what the code is doing. I am the driver of product and he is the engineer of product (me product marketing, him product development).

The funny thing is we both like to cook. And I mean, like, cook cook. His insta is filled with foods he makes, mostly mediterranean cuisine. We have a lot we talk about personally and get along fine.

Our challenge is traction and we are working through that. The shifting VC landscape for B2B@C to solid focus on anything AI makes things more challenging. But we get along well.

He has read some of my content and was like "whoa" you know a lot. The issue is treading on my experience and leveraging his skills building should do the trick for us. Patience, focus, and be as agile as you can.

Hope that helps...

@carlo1 Other folks have sufficiently answered your question. I wanted to chime in here because a 50/50 split is a TERRIBLE idea. When (not if) you and your cofounder have a disagreement, you need someone to be able to make the final call. Companies have imploded because of 50/50 splits where the founders are in a deadlock without anyone having voting control.

I’ll give you an example. Say your cofounder isn’t working out and you need to let them go. Too bad, you can’t fire them because they have the same voting power as you.

If you do go with a 50/50 split, ensure that there’s a clause in your board bylaws that says one of you will be the tie-breaker (likely the Chair or CEO). Absolutely 100% ensure one of you has the ultimate say in decision making, or your company at some point in the future will be fcked.

@carlo1 I wouldn’t work w him if I were you. I’m alone now. Hard af. But I don’t want to onboard anybody just to onboard. Plus he’s non technical. Definitely would want a person who can code, and who’s thought process is similar to mine.

@carlo1 In your association, who would be the CEO? If you are in fact going to be the CEO be aware of the following:

- he is 22 years your senior, with more work/life experience as CEO; make sure he understands that. Even if he does understand that, it will probably be hard for him to tell you how to be a CEO, avoid CEO mistakes etc.

- 50/50 split is never a good idea (from my point of view). One person has to own more (maybe 55/45 or 51/49)

- you said you can learn a lot from him. How does he see his collaboration with you?

- did you work on something together to see how things go? it's very important that you do, you'll know if you like working with him before agreeing to anything.