Alibaba almost sent me to jail. Determined to start again and never let this happen. How do I proceed?

@beebert Freight Forwarder here, this particular situation would have been address by Customs, and they will hold that shipment, not call and threaten you with fine or money. Never seen any C&B involve with this. Very odd one

@beebert My limited knowledge about this subject is that Alibaba is extremely unreliable to the point that it can become a huge personal risk.

It apparently holds no accountability whatsoever about the vendors there.

@suger Anything imported from Alibaba should just be reprocessed domestically and treated as a new manufacture in my opinion. In fact, that's the law in lost of places anyway/

Check the compositions, constructions, safety features, labelling, etc etc.

@suger Yes, I learned this the hard way :/. I don't know where else to turn though. I can't fly to the Canton Fair because of covid. What are the other options?

@beebert Canton fair was actuqlly what I was thinking 😥.

Hope for people to get vaccinated so we can get through COVID maybe.

Also as of recently risk of getting it is like 10 times less than last year.

@suger Alibaba is a marketplace for finding manufacturers. They have some certifications the suppliers can achieve (gold status, etc) that can give you limited piece of mind, but it’s up to you to vet them.

@beebert
  1. You need a freight forwarder or logistics company that has a local customs broker to handle all of this for you. Either you sell beauty products, or you are the import/exporter... which is it?
  2. Your "Korean" beauty products are probably Chinese, made in China... but I assume you know this already and that's why you put "Korean" in quotes. lol

@mauraftwi How would they be able to provide that? I ask because if im selling product id be clueless to figure out how to give a certificate of origin. Does it just come with the product if you order in bulk?

Thanks for the response btw!

@613jono Normally, each country has their own ministry of trade or trade department that could give this certificate. The supplier would need to pay a small fee.

You can tell them that you wholesale to large chains and they need this certificate to provide it's made in Korea.

Back