Am I Crazy?

@maxilinko Try it, No seriously, try opening up a business in general contracting if you think its that easy and you'll see exactly why some contractors don't "show up".

I'll tell you from first hand experience that about 90% of "clients" are a waste of time. They want a Kitchen for 10,000$ Because they saw some stupid instagram post and think its possible without knowing why its even 10,000$.

Seriously, open up a business and take your time to go to every lead, you'll soon gain experience and realize which client to spend your time with, and which you shouldn't get near with a 10-foot pole.

You will never get an answer off reddit, Most redditors are employees, they never managed a thing besides which socks to wear to work that day. Gain the experience for yourself then you'll soon realize that all of these anti-work and anti-contractors are absolute rubbish and have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Most of these people that never managed or had real responsibilities in their lives think that their bosses kick their feet up while they do all the work.

TLDR; Its not the job thats hard, its the people (employees & clients). PEOPLE are hard, people are the hardest in every single business. people are the most complex, with ups and downs. Employees blame bosses for lack of wages when the government spikes inflation and interest rates and devalue their wages. Clients blame employers because they don't show up, without failing to realize that the job we quoted 6 months ago, is actually 20% higher due to the higher cost of labor and materials. Employers are at the shit end of the stick no matter where the economy is, try it and then message me how it goes, you will finally realize and be able to tell the experience level of people in this thread just by the 2 or 3 sentences they write.

@maxilinko As someone who works professionally in the commercial contracting business, I can tell you that this is neither uncommon nor unreasonable.

Quoting jobs costs contractors money; even a small job quote takes an estimator 1/2 a day to a day to travel to your site, review the scope, calculate the cost, generate the quote and submit it. There's also inherent financial risk to every contracting job; if it's lump sum work and not T&M and something happens to bump their costs up (delays, another trade getting in their way or damaging their work, underestimated job) they could be losing money.

If you aren't giving them business and have called multiple times, they might just write you off as a waste of time. Contractors primarily work off of reputation and building relationships with repeat clients or referrals, not by pounding the pavement.

@maxilinko You have to find really good guys that are experienced in what they are doing. You have to make sure that they feel like they are working with you and not for you. Treat them with respect and love and they'll run the business for you.

@maxilinko My husband and I own a residential services company. There is a ton of competition from local businesses and national companies who do the same thing. It is true that there are many people that just don't show up. It is equally true that clients book us for jobs, but the jobs are not at all related to what the customer described. Some customers just turn out to be crazy. We now know that anyone who asks for a discount isn't someone we want to do business with. (I own an small HR business. This sont true generally in my business.)

Another issue for us is that customers call and want service that day. We do build a little time into the schedule for emergencies, but we charge a fee for that.

It has been terrible trying to hire employees. We just aren't big enough to pay enough. We have great empathy for battling addiction issues, but it's been difficult to find potential employees who will work drug free/sober. I'm not judging them. I can't send them to someone's home impaired or give them a company vehicle to drive. When we are bigger and pay more, then we can attract different applicants. For us it's a process of growing the business.

This is a very rewarding business. It is a good feeling to know that someone has a problem, you fix it, and they are happy. My husband is an engineer, so he likes coming up with creative solutions. We have a very high customer return rate of 92 percent.
Best of luck in your decision!

Back