AMA: I'm Daniel, non-technical cofounder of YCombinator-backed startup Sleek

@butterscoth Fucking THIS!

Also, 100% guarantee that dude who’s bitching isn’t gonna be a user anyway.

It’s the typical Reddit loser “Yeah that’s fine in practice but what about theory” mentality.

@dpowerz Next-gen autofill :) not only do we input your information, we navigate through the checkout for you. Plus autofill doesn't work at sites where the code isn't designed for it (ex. Zara), but we can and do work there

@dustinw We're struggling to find the right messaging to cut through the noise. We don't want to be yet another cash back extension. But an online checkout solution doesn't really resonate.

A few messaging angles we've been trying (pls comment if any of them land or suggest something yourself):

- "Supercharge your credit card"

- "Credit card booster"

- "Most convenient way to shop"

- "Digital wallet for easy purchases"

- "Amazon-like checkout, everywhere"

- "Checkout with 1 click, everywhere" ...

@skitta None of these hit on the actual reason I would use an extension like this… the 2% extra cashback.

Once I’ve already filled in my details, it might make for an improved experience down the road with some of the retailers I shop at, but I’m not going to START using the product because of the expected experience.

An interesting comparison might be ShopPay, which I use. As a result of buying something from a brand using ShopPay, I put in my details and thought nothing more of it. Then later another brand pulled my cell phone number and used that to pull up ShopPay and… I didn’t need to do anything else. I loved it.

@mcsquiggles I gotta agree with this response generally. The last option resonated more with me than the others but 2% cashback is probably the catalyst that gets my hands off my mouse and onto my keyboard. 1-Click, 2% Back. Anywhere. My opinion, but you know what they say about opinions...

But I appreciate the AMA and I'll try it out, good luck!

@dustinw Thanks for the feedback & support! Please let me know how it goes once you've tried it.

Ya, we could do like: "2% cash back, 1 click checkout, 1 million stores". Does that land?

(technically true bc Shopify has 2m+ stores)

@skitta This lands way better than the other statements. I do think the EXTRA 2% needs to be called out so users aren’t comparing this to their current/credit card cashback. “Extra cashback” might land better than “2% cashback”

I love the call out on 1 million stores because it addresses the concern that I’m putting in all my details but won’t be able to reuse the profile meaningfully.

Some other interesting thoughts:
- one click checkout for some reason triggers connotations for me that the product is something I need to check out quickly or I’ll change my mind because it’s not a good product/price (ie: the company wants me to check out quickly, I don’t have any pressure to check out now)
- however, there is one area where having one click checkout (especially if it’s a chrome extension, and not built into the website so different people have different experiences) where I would KILL for one click checkout. When speed does matter, like limited edition drops/concert tickets/etc. So there’s an edge case that would make for a strong selling point in a niche group

@mcsquiggles Agreed on "Extra" - much clearer value prop with just adding that one word.

So it sounds like 1 click checkout actually causes a negative feeling, that you're buying something that you maybe shouldn't, except when its a limited-time offer of some sort.

Is there a term that can express the checkout without "1 click" that is enticing and not sleezy salesman? Fast / easy / convenient checkout all seem too mundane. Anyone have a suggestions?

@skitta I’ve seen speedy checkout used before. I mean, who doesn’t want to be speedy? Would you rather a slow checkout?

But I’m also curious, what’s the actual pain point the easy checkout solves? For me, it’s not having to dig out your credit card at the next store after just putting it back. I only have to submit my info once is a nice to have relative to the credit card info.

So speedy checkout tells me what the function is, and I go “awesome I only need to get my card once now!” But if you said “No more fishing your CC out. Also extra 2% cashback” that tells me the two things I need to hear to go “oh I’m getting paid to have less pain? Done.”

@mcsquiggles Ya great point. I think the best value prop from a user experience is probably convenience i.e. never having to go find your credit card, memorize your CVV, or manually type any addresses in. Not explicitly speed (although it is faster).

Maybe "form freedom?" Or like "Easy checkout"?

@skitta I think you can better “hit the nail on the head.” What gives it form freedom? Why is it easy?

Convenient checkout is strong, but autofilled checkout is more descriptive. Card free checkout directly addresses the annoyance of having to get a card.

But I do think that the key difficulty with finding a magic phrase to describe this convenience is that it is multiple small things, and the best way to understand is simply to have the experience. Pushing marketing for why the experience is good may be a less effective marketing effort/spend than just pushing “extra cashback, don’t miss out” and getting people to figure out why the experience is good themselves.

FOMO is also pretty strong, especially around this sale season. If your marketing/story is built around “going to spend $1k this Black Friday? Get $20 free.” Or “Spending $10k? Don’t leave $200 extra cashback on the table” that should be really effective.

@johnjayh I like it! Just not sure if that's clear enough if seen as a stand-alone offering... that's part of the problem with the numerical approach

Back