Are you building a marketplace? An Uber/Airbnb for X?

@kenhui I started working on a MVP about it. It's not my project so I can't comment on the details.

because of to the chicken-and-egg problem

This project is moving from conventional to digital, so there is a sale chain. However, we talked about this problem. At first, we must spend money to keeping the system afloat and in-movement.

Thank you so much to all the people who contributed to this rich and awesome thread!

There are some very interesting stories and perspectives on the chicken & egg problem and it's very educating and motivating for those who think about launching, as well as for those who have already begun.

As for me, I run FitMyTime.com - a marketplace for online live one-on-one fitness and yoga classes. On the supply side there are instructors who are interested to expand their customers list by training clients remotely. On the demand side - people who need a personal training and prefer to work out from the comfort of their home, in their language (there are language and activity type filters). Those can be busy moms, people with tight work schedule, people with gym anxiety/discomfort, people who are in a recovery process and so on.

As for the chicken & egg problem - I started with the supply side. I began with reaching out to trainers I knew personally. We also did a pilot to understand how does it feel to workout with a trainer remotely. Next, the trainers I recruited brought some of the friends (also trainers/yoga instructors). This phase wasn't easy and required a lot of effort, and of course I manually listed the trainers. After I had around 15-20 trainers I started publishing on trainers job boards. That phase was easier and the trainers created the listings without my help. Today there are more than 100 instructors, and I'm not looking for increase that number dramatically soon. The next step for me is to increase demand in order to reach liquidity.

@kenhui Start with the "hard side" which side is harder to get on your platform? How can you get them onboarded as easily as possible?

Usually in my experience the hard side is the supply side and you can get them into your platform by making it as easy as possible. Create listings on their behalf, don't have them have to do anything other than their job. Can you scape data from anywhere online to make sufficiently filled out and trustworthy profiles? Can you bring opportunities or money to the mailbox of these suppliers without them having to do anything?

Most of my experience is with SaaS enabled marketplaces and the main idea is to make the lives of the suppliers as easy as possible. In the early days this may just be the founder doing management on behalf of their users.

If you want a fast/free MVP to put in front of users to begin getting product feedback Tangram.co offers free MVP dev to new founders during their trial period.

They specialize in service marketplaces like Fiverr/Airbnb where scheduling with Google Calendar and payment with Stripe Connect is needed.