Being a founder/CEO - Mainly hustling, not requiring creativity?

freetobefreedom

The title summarises my point of discussion, curious for your viewpoints.

Currently in process of starting an e-commerce startup, seed stage.

@freetobefreedom It’s relative. If you think that an established or late stage startup lacks creativity, compare it to a tech giant. If you think early stage startups have more creativity, you’re probably right.

It’s nice if you find your job fulfilling and self-actualizing but that’s not the goal of startups.

Hustle? Well, maybe. Lots of hustle is wasted: the difference between activity and progress. That always amazed me: startups who do insane hours yet do the wrong thing. They race quickly in the wrong direction, piling junk upon junk.

@freetobefreedom I could spend hours going through this. And let me first say it’s not uncommon for a CEO to fall into the trap your in, or for a COO / Owner to call themselves a CEO for prestige.

But a real CEO works on the business not in the business. Yes sometimes they get involved, but it’s to learn processes to hire and replace them. If i let our doing anything repetitively other than meeting your direct reports and board meetings, then it’s likely that work is a role that would be better defined as something else.

If you not working on moving the needle 3+ months out and meeting customers to understand their needs, it’s likely your being sucked into the day to day and that’s not the role you were hired to do.

@ivangraham Very interesting take. Can you recommend any resources on this topic?

Or any additional anectodes? Cause you say you have seen it as not uncommon for a CEO to fall into this trap.