Bookkeeper went 4-7 hours over her estimate but didn’t check in before billing me

@plaura94515 I haven’t used it much as I decided Odoo was a better fit for me, but my wife is going to switch over to xero from QBO.

Main things I liked were:
1. Speed, it doesn’t take waiting 5 seconds after every click for something to happen.
2. Software isn’t glitchy, I don’t have to use it in incognito mode or constantly clear all cookies just to do basic tasks.
3. It’s actually navigable in a sane way, and you can go back.
4. Categorizing things is much simpler with the side by side view I think.

So basically it’s just easier to use.

In QBO the balance sheet and chart of accounts never matched up for inventory accounts. I don’t even understand how or why that’s even possible.

Oh it’s also a heck of a lot cheaper.

@jro1 Definitely bring it up, but be super humble when you do. First, you should have been told, and you want them to know that they should communicate this to you in the future. Second you want an explanation of why it took longer. Approach this to learn how you can improve and get an idea of how you can set them up to do better. If they don't have a good explanation of why it took so long, then maybe I would challenge them why they were 25% off. Either way, it's a learning opportunity for you. You either improve your bookkeeping or find a new person to work with.

If you're worried about it, next time around I would maybe specify a not to exceed point. If they quote 5-8, put in writing not to exceed 8 ot 10 or whatever you choose. I don't know if they'd take that contract bc you're small, but worth a shot.

@jro1 It's not unusual to need extra work in your type situation, but they definitely should have communicated the extra expense. Not like you wouldn't have approved it, hut you should always ask before spending someone else's money.

@jro1 I understand your frustration, I would email the bookkeeper and say the following:

While I appreciate all you have done for me, I wasn’t expecting to be charged over the estimated 8 hours without being given a heads up.”

Then see how they reply. Maybe they will cut it in half or maybe they will respond negatively. Either way, be prepared to pay them in full, whatever the decided final amount, and I would never use them again. Good luck with the business! 👍 —Rocco

@jro1 This is common.
Your bookkeeper likely gave you an estimate based on her average time for this type of service.
If they encounter discrepancies, time is added to resolve them.

@jro1 Can someone help me here on how you need that much clean up if everything is digital? We do around a million revenue a year and I keep my books myself because quickbooks is so easy to categorize. Did you just not do it all year? I’m not trying to be mean I’m just trying to understand

@wolf7 So, that's a fair statement. There were four main categories of business owners who do this:

Not everyone does work on their books every month. Which is why asking 'why' it requires so much clean up. A small problem in January can be easily fixed. But it can quickly spiral out of control.

There are also people who like throwing a shoebox of receipts at their accountant each year and thinking this is the best way to do their accounting. (no judgement)

In addition, there are new business owners who underestimate the amount of work that needs to happen on the bookkeeping side.

There is the final group, who I was more likely to give some grace to, they had experienced a horrible life event that year. Cancer, a death in the family, fire damage to the business etc. Their life was too much in turmoil that particular year, so the bookkeeping took a back seat.

There are probably more categories, that I'm not thinking of. Of course the categories can be combined. :)

@easyrider2 Your last reason is a very valid one. The other three is just behavior that honestly needs to be fixed. Not knowing your numbers all year is just scary. You should know what’s coming in and leaving

@jro1 A lot of people are posting advice based on feelings and ego. I worked in payroll. Let's talk $.

How much is her hourly fee? Are we talking 15/hr or 100?
This is a business. If she's bad at estimating and on the low end and is taking clients this late, I'd eat it and say absolutely nothing. If you have no backup plan, I'd eat it and say absolutely nothing. Because you're not finding someone else this late and if you do they're going to price-gouge too. You're doing this waaaaay too late in the year. Your returns are due in 30 days and you're just looking over last year's books? JFC, c'mon. A late return is $200+/mth. You might be able to file an extension, but IDK if you have any grounds.

QB has a GL IDK what needs balancing. Considering that the fact you're using modern tech and your books "need balancing" scares me, I wouldn't be too hasty on trying to annoy this person if it's not a lot of money and is just ego. They may drop you as a client.

Your worst case is actually not paying +4 hours, your worst case is they refund you completely, nullifying the contract, and just hand you your books back. A fair number of people will do this if you annoy them sufficiently at year end because they are going to be working with multiple clients, you're probably not a big one, and it's not worth the effort of hassling over it.

Not a lawyer not legal or business advice.

@jro1 Overages in professional services should always be proactively communicated.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a plumber, mechanic, accountant or lawyer.

@jro1 If her estimate was 5-8 hours, you can assume that 8 hours is worst case. If she has accountant access to your QBO, she should have been able to do a quick scan and get a good idea. The fact that she went to 12 hours and didn't communicate means she's disrespectful, and likely incompetent.