CEOs, do you hire B/C-players now, or wait for A-players?

oceansedge

We all know that we should hire someone who is better than you. But as a young startup in its very very early stage, it's so damn hard to attract A-players to join, and we are anxious to find people to speed up the R&D. So the question is, should we wait until we find some really good people, or just accept B/C-players so hopefully we could grow the business?

@oceansedge I'm not a CEO, but my goal would be to hire someone who is ambitious that would want to grow with the company.

I'd be fine if they start out without experience and then outgrew my company. I would expect them to learn and get better the entire time. It would be mutually beneficial.

@oceansedge I have a couple employees in a couple different states. Apart from two of them, the rest are just warm bodies fulfilling an easy role. I don't necessarily look for A game experience, but I have noticed the cream will rise to the top.

When that happens you're presented with the amazing opportunity to foster and nurture that performing employee, or let it stagnant into resentment towards the company.

I have found this to be true from both an employer and employee perspective. Your results may vary.