Funny little story while trying to hire a fractional CTO

@rmora The India-based development team is an agency, with over 150 developers. I plan on maintaining a long-term relationship with them for future maintenance and feature development.

My project will have five people on it, including program manager and three senior developers across PHP backend, web, and Flutter.

@thewordgirl Choosing PHP suggests there might not be a clear roadmap for your project. It's crucial to pick the right technology, and as an agency, they should have recommended better options. Also, you opted for Flutter, so it's unclear what is for web. If everything is proceeding as planned, what's the issue? Is it solely the code review? Because code review alone shouldn't pose a problem.

@thewordgirl But you can't find a CTO on a freelancer platform, am I wrong? Because the platform doesn't allow to communicate with the freelancer outside of the platform (because they want to get paid for every work that they do for you), and you need to work with CTO outside of the platform, right?

@thewordgirl I highly suggest not doing things this way at all. If you hire a CTO in a startup, you are constrained in the number of people that you can actually pay for. You really need to be working with people,face to face. The CTO needs to be building the mvp, not part of committee of cooks to approve what another set of cooks is doing.

@thewordgirl Firstly, I recommend that you find someone from your own network. Fiverr and Upwork are NOT the places to find a CTO. CTOs can't be found on freelance websites.

The developers who are on freelancing websites earn much more than they are going to earn when they are recruited by you. Also, building a startup is a very different ballgame; you never give up, you have to stick to the project no matter what technical challenges you're going to face.

When I was 20 years old, I was offered the role of cofounder & CTO by an IITian grad(one of the most reputed colleges in India) for a B2B SaaS product. However, I immediately refused because I didn't know the founder in person. We talked on Google Meet a few times, but I was not very familiar with the founder. Regardless of whether I had more technical knowledge than anyone else, experience truly counts. That's why there is a difference between a Founding Engineer and a CTO. I felt I was not ready yet.

The network effect is the only factor that is going to give you someone who is genuine, wants to build a successful startup, has the ability to lead, and has a lot of technical depth.

@thewordgirl So at least you and the fiverr devs are on the same level…. 😂😂😂😂 1000 hours of coding, trying to outsource CTO on fiverr…I am sure you have all requirements in this nice word doc and the developer JUST needs to code it….and let me guess your idea, it is this AMAZING new APP… you are building FACEBOOK….but wait….it is FACEBOOK for dog owners!!!!!

P.S. You calling yourself a "pre-revenue startup" is like me claiming I'm on vacation in Hawaii because I once looked at a brochure and thought, "That looks nice!"