Dealing with a big L

tim316

Ooof! Everyone posts their success stories, how about a big ol failure to balance things out. I just realized the script responsible for syncing my development database and multiple production databases wasn't working properly. I always spot checked a few databases after an update - turns out I only checked the databases that got synced properly, by fluke.

Had I checked a few more, I would have found this bug earlier... like months earlier.

Now I lie here, after fixing the bug, trying to convince myself to get back on the horse (I will, after a little mental rest). Cant help but think of all the customers that came on board and left over the last few months, that are a direct result of this bug.

Live and learn, but man this blows. So if your having a less then stellar day ... so am I.

@tim316 Shit happens, mate. Fix it, test it. Once you're sure everything is good to go, email all your affected users and give them a few year (or some free time) to make up for their trouble. If possible, even try to contact them by phone and have a conversation with them and see if they have any other feedback and apologize to them. Explain the situation and how the error was missed and how it may have affected their service. Chances are, you can most likely get those users back, most of them will respect the fact that you take responsibility and take the time to reach out to them. Good luck!

@tim316 What is the architecture regarding multi-tenancy? I assume single? As you have now had to learn the hard way yourself: Infrastructure solves multi-tenancy problems less efficiently than software. Or the other way around: software always solves multi-tenancy problems better than infrastructure.

@tim316 Damn that sucks. If it makes you feel better, I've been blocked, ignored, downvoted into oblivion, and ghosted by warm contacts this week trying to do some light marketing.

:D

Back