Digital world is over engineered

@caljreich Yeah all the places that really need tech are just blocked by regulation, this is actually why vc and stuff are really weak cause they cant access those areas.

Id say everywhere without much regulation has already undergone like 95% of the improvement that tech could bring

@caljreich Why go through the painful process of identifying and addressing a real problem when it's far easier to present solutions and allow customers to determine the issue it resolves?

People often display a talent for identifying industries with low entry barriers, confining themselves to specific domains. There is a reluctance to experiment with different business models. Despite numerous unexplored opportunities, the preference for a subscription-based model frequently limits strategic thinking. Platforms like Y Combinator and other startup accelerators have contributed to shaping this trend, as they are generally averse to investing in riskier models.

So, I agree that B2B SaaS is a bubble. Real problems exist, but there is a general unwillingness to navigate the ambiguity and find solutions to those problems.

@caljreich Agreed. If you’re an aspiring founder who wants to truly change the world, you’re doing hardware, full stop. But that’s hard so people do software instead.

@masako A generational, parading-shifting, software was released almost exactly one year ago today and is the most hyped tech in many decades, so I'm not sure I'd completely agree with your statement.

AI and machine learning are also extremely versatile in their applications and definitely world-changing in their scope.

@spiritualhuman Yes that’s a fair exception. I do still think that there is much more greenspace and opportunity for true world improvement in the physical world than in software.

@masako Not necessarily, I’m betting most use software to make money so they can “actually” change the world by applying their capital into hardware projects - it’s more of the long game

@caljreich People were saying this when I did YC in 2010 BTW. The number of Groupon clones (of all things!) being funded was crazy.

In reality: most YC startups fail, even the winners sounded like weird fake problems when they were just getting started (Airbnb, really?), and a ton of YC companies struggle and pivot during the actual batch, at which time they often pick an easy-to-build trendy-sounding idea, because they’re human and need to come up with a startup in like a month.

@613jono Build an app like Loopt that doesn’t really take off but sell if for like $50 million, just cuz. Then buy a nice house in SF and then really get to work. Surround yourself with hyper ambitious people between ages 19 - 40. Profit.