Do signs really bring in leads that close?

mooke147

I am considering starting a small service business (duh, that’s why I’m here lol) and I am curious about signs that you see placed in town, public places and stop signs etc. not the ones in people’s yards from a job you did.

I read another post mentioning them and I remembered thinking to myself the other week that I wouldn’t call a random company or person on a sign if it didn’t look professionally made or have a website etc and wondered if they were a waste of money?

What do y’all think about that type of advertising? It is a waste or does it bring in leads that close and generate revenue?

@mooke147 Yeah, got 30 yard signs for my mini company, put em out, and did about 12k gross in a month, about 6-8 reoccurring jobs that are weekly/biweekly apart from our regular schedule, pretty solid imo

@billybillyblue I think your comment is still relevant to his post unless I'm missing something. I have a similar return rate on signs monthly. They absolutely kickstarted my business much more than hangers or cards ever would. Eventually the Google business and website will take over but signs are actually still my primary lead gen source for now. I put out 30-50/month.

@colin44 Hell yeah bro, that’s solid, we already had a good customer base but high ticket things like fences were what we wanted to start doing and it worked good too. What kind of business do you run?

@billybillyblue That's what's up! You called it your mini company - what's your primary gig in that case?

For me - gutters man. Cleaning on the side to my 9-5 hospital job quickly turned into full installations. I'm dropping down to minimum 20hrs/week at the hospital this summer just to keep the benefits/pension, and continuing to expand the business until it takes over completely.

@colin44 Haha man I see you mentioned hospital are you a nurse by any chance ? I’m actually in nursing school right now. So student my main gig rn

For our business We mainly do landscaping, but we added fencing and that gave us the big boost 12k gross about 3-4k profit after expenses, our landscaping gig usually keeps us pretty busy. Mainly do the work ourselves to keep all profits.

That’s nice man, a lot of my fam has worked in construction roofing and gutters, there is plenty of money to be made, I just can’t deal with heights, were you hanging gutters long before you worked at the hospital ?

@billybillyblue I was an LPN for a year, changed over to occupational therapy. Been doing that in a big acute hospital for 5 years and just ready for a change. Love working outside, and the potential to make a much better living. Something I can maybe leave behind even. Medical field has gotten me a stable enough job, good benefits, but I realized when I hit 30 I'll never get ahead.

Nursing has a lot of opportunities though. Lots of folks can get burnt out from bedside nursing after so many years, but some love it after decades. Good news is if you don't want to stay bedside you can switch over to anything from a doctor's office to a ketamine clinic to a school.

Only started doing gutters in November last year. Which is crazy, it hasn't made a ton of money yet or anything, but I have worked with probably close to 100 clients already. Maybe done 75 jobs from that. Couple guys helping out - I usually take the smaller ones myself now. For really big "VIP" clients I like to be on site too. But my lead installer does most of the work and I try to pay him accordingly. Right now he makes more than me, but I'm learning and growing - it's a volume game. I want to have maybe 2-3 tight knit trustworthy crews out, 5 days a week...that's when the money will start coming in. I don't have it in me at 31 to do it all myself, my back is already fairly shot haha

@mooke147 It's a form of brand marketing strategy, works well for brand recall methods. But need's to be combined with other forms of top of the funnel activity to drive impact.

What kind of buisness are you trying to start?

I suggest you use free platforms like TryTelescope Ai to find 100 free leads over a few weeks. And reach out to them via email and calls. This will put you in a learning curve t0 understand more about your ICP.

Let me know if you need any help with Email content, happy to share some versions that wroked for me during my discovery phase when I started my buisness

@mooke147 I never use them. I do use signs in yard where people are working.

My subdivision has one guys signs up all the time. You should get a few friends to put these in their yards for you.

@mooke147 If you do any form of paid advertising, follow direct response principles. Do not waste paid ads on branding by itself. ALWAYS place an offer your audience WANTS in the ad.

You offer is the "why" they pick up the phone and call you.

@abraham7777 I do, but in small calculated tests to my landing page. I'm a 100% commissioned sales person, 100% responsible for generating my own leads and book of business.

I've spent the last 3 years practicing and learning how to write persuasive sales letters. To do so, I studied the last 100 years of copywriting, learning core fundamentals from industry titans who paved the way before me.

Advertising is SO important to business that I believe it's a skill I NEED to know. So I'm working on developing thos.e

@thedani%C3%ABl That’s awesome! Nice to see someone else who is trying to perfect their craft.

Would you say paid ads is your main method of generating leads or do you practice other forms like cold email, content to build an audience, or even cold calling?

Also what would your say are the key fundamentals for a high converting sales letter?

@abraham7777 Oh no, my main method is good old-fashioned prospecting. I spent 5 years in retail sales selling one of the most difficult products to sell. In retail sales, you are waiting for your turn in line to help a potential buyer.

I got sick of waiting. Needed to learn to how fish for myself. Prospecting was a scary idea and enemy #1. So I set off to learn all about it. Then, I went out and found a D2D job that would allow me to put my studies to the test.

In my first 3 months, I set up 60 inspections that turned into signed contracts. I knocked as a marketing rep for 9 months. Then, I moved into project management.

I'm thinking about reactivating my RE license because I just wanna work and be independent with my time and process. I'm starting to feel like a cog in a sales machine and I absolutely hate that.

I HATE social media and any app that wastes my time. I prefer to learn a skill than watch pointlessly addicting videos. But I'm focusing on building my marketing page on FB. Learning how to build my own website so I can manage it myself. I have time to learn this stuff, and it's good to know when I eventually sub that work out.

Regarding the sales letter: persuading in writing is the same as persuading in person. Both rely on the same psychology and fundamentals of sales. It's literally "salesmanship in print" as all the God fathers of sales copywriting would call it.

90% of writing copy is actually researching your target audience so well you know them better than themselves. They think you've somehow been inside their heads reading their thoughts.

Once you've done enough research letters will write themselves. The big difference between in person and letter is your sales letter must present the entirety of your arguments A to Z. Unless your building out a funnel with stages.

There's much more to it -- but all ads or paid persuasive messages can be broken down into these 3 needed elements:

1) an attention grabbing headline
2) an offer so good they'd be stupid saying no
3) body copy. Your body copy is 1/10 as important as your offer.

When you start a letter, always work on the offer first. It's very important. It's what makes people order from you. But 80% of the success of your offer relies on your headline.

@mooke147 You wouldn't call a random company or person from a sign - but other people would. The costs of making these signs are not high, and there are also not a lot of risks, so it wouldn't hurt to try.

What I can say though is that you have to make your sign look professionally made. And make sure that your contact info and your offer are visible.