Follow up: 86% of S23 is based in the Bay Area

@zedrick Yeah, but maybe 86% of the applications were like me and came from folks in the Bay Area and we didn’t get in. Or maybe I’m the only loser in the Bay Area. Didn’t go to MIT, but one of those other big schools in Cambridge.

@zedrick Considering YCombinator is the only one that has brand awareness on a global stage for first stage investing, it does piss me off how the majority are from the Bay Area, not even US wide let alone abroad

@zedrick Counter point: YC is just a bunch of people trying to make money off their investment. Maybe they’re wrong and going to MIT isn’t a good predictor. Go ahead and prove it by building shit people want and making money.

Fundraising is entirely optional to build a startup in this brave new world of developer productivity tools, cloud, and large language models.

@zedrick Man, I agree. I’ve seen they accepts a lot of Ivy League students. To be honest, I’m giving up of this “looking for investors and co founders” shit. It’s way easier grow a company by myself than find investors and a good tech co founder.

Some people had only an idea and got in, there is no sense. Startups aren’t about an idea, tech co founders or investors. It’s about building the best product for your CUSTOMERS and guess what, you don’t need YC , any other VC, a co founder or a “tech guy” on the team to build it, principally in 2023.

As I said before, I’m gonna focus 100% on my product and my customers and won’t care about the rest of world

@zedrick Yea the number is 86% will live in Bay Area for the batch. Also, what is prestige about living in the Bay Area?

If you’re serious about your startup you should probably live in the Bay Area, nothing is stopping you related to prestige.

Back