Got laid off. In desperation mode!

@thejacobhouse I 100% agree that growing your business is the right choice but the risk associated with that is just too high in your situation my dude. Having a 1 month deadline might make you take rush decisions and actually backfire on the potential growth that you would otherwise have. If I were you, I would focus on getting another 9 to 5 asap. Once you have a steady source of income, focus on growing your biz.

@thejacobhouse Can you add in landscaping, mulching, and winter clean up? Depending on where you live, it’s spring and everyone in states that have seasons are throwing a ton of money at landscaping. To the point where there are hundreds of Facebook group posts asking “hey anyone have a landscaper that actually calls back and can fit me in?” I’m in the Midwest US, and window cleaning isn’t hot right now, landscaping is.

In the theme of sweaty startup mentality, I personally would go on every parent Facebook group you have in the area you live and look at what vendors people are complaining about not being able to find. The in demand services are right there in your face.

My own house cleaners are a couple, man and wife. They are the hardest to book cleaning service in our busy town. And in the winter they clean together for their business. and in the spring, he does exclusively fall cleanups, mulch, and gutter cleaning. I asked them if his side business is worth turning down cleaning clients for. I was shocked to hear them say just a few weeks of his outdoor services makes more than their cleaning business does all year. The cleaning business is the side business for the landscaping one! Who knew!

You sound like a hard worker, and I get that it’s a scary position to be in. I’d look for the services most in demand in your area and then offer it.

Good luck! Come back in 5 weeks and tell us how you crushed it.

Oh! I just remembered. Another really hot thing in our area is screen repairs. There’s a guy that goes door to door every spring offering window cleaning and screen repairs. He has all the stuff in his truck and does it pretty quick. Like maybe an hour for 10-12 screens. Charges $10/screen, so about 100-120/hr. Normally I wouldn’t pay for window cleaning, especially in this economic climate. But I definitely pay for screen repairs.

Also hopefully you already do this in your business, but make sure you’re targeting the right neighborhoods. Not every neighborhood can afford these types of services. Go to where the money is.

@stevenxuniv Go to homes on lakes, if there are any. Those people want good views and there are lots of bugs. They need cleaning bad. We cannot even get someone to come to our house to clean windows.

@thejacobhouse Go on nextdoor and facebook. People are always looking for cleaners, but I see that they are a little biased to wanting ladies. I would join groups on facebook for airbnb in your area. They will be more accepting. Call general contractors and see if you can clean their projects after they are done. Focus on small contractors in the short term. Less red tape. Pick up cleaning projects on Craigslist. People still use that believe it or not. Call cleaning companies and tell them you want to be subcontracted, the right ones will love you for it. No matter who you talk to, don’t let desperation shine through, but instead the confidence that you will take care of them because you are a cleaning professional. Maybe do Uber or lyft for a bit. As somebody mentioned do gig work until you land another job, meanwhile you do gig work and land another job keep working on your business on the side. You now have to narrow down your short term goals and long term goals. Never stop building that business, no matter how long it takes. It will make it so that you never have to go through this again. It sucks going through this at 26, try at 46, or 56. When you feel your options are more limited and you’re too young to retire. You fucken got this! Good luck!

@thejacobhouse I was recently in your exact same position, 27M with wife and 2 young kids. After my previous jobs owners decided to sell during COVID I decided to go off and go balls deep in trying to start a lawn & landscaping company. Didn’t go as smooth as I originally expected it to, bills were higher then profit & my bank account was draining faster then I could keep up with. When I first told my wife about wanting to do this and go off on my own I should have listened when she told me to get a full time job. Added a lot of unnecessary stress on us both, after the first season I called it quits (for now atlwast & definitely not lawn &landscaping next) and got a full time job again to be able to provide. It turns out my new job is doing something I actually enjoy so it doesn’t feel like work & it’s great pay, no stress & always a solid pay check every week guaranteed. I’d probably take your wife’s advice and get a full time job for now & work on your other stuff on the side and try to grow . Family always comes first no matter what!
I wish you great success boss!

@thejacobhouse My advice would be to find income ASAP, you gotta support your family. Find a 9-5 then work on your business. Until you find a stable job then you gotta hit the pavement and knock on doors trying to do window cleaning then pitch the cleaning.

I 100% support people having their own business, but your situation is super high risk. You should look for work and then work to grow your business to a point you can quit.

@thejacobhouse You can't be starting and running shaky unprofitable new businesses until you have a proper emergency fund saved up and working capital and a business plan. Use your logic over your emotions before you blow up your life.

@dmitri I agree with this. OP, if you're desperate and need cash asap, you need to be knocking in doors right now and nothing else. This is the quickest way to aquire new business.

@thejacobhouse You could find work as a waiter/bartender and work evenings while you work to grow your business during the day.

It is going to be tough for a while but working P/T as a Bartender at the right location can earn decent income.

@thejacobhouse Economy is terrible right now. Do both. Keep applying at jobs and keep at the side gig. If you have any accounts with active subs that’s aren’t profitable or have complaints, cancel them and do the work yourself.

@thejacobhouse I worked a full time 9-5 job while creating and growing my business. Then was able to go part time, then finally quit when my business could support me. It was hard with much sacrificing but well worth it. Been self employed now going on 20 years.
You have kids my man. Their well being is what comes first.

@thejacobhouse Any business will take a while to get up and running. Focus on going above and beyond when it comes to the quality of service you provide. Create a Google Business listing, build 5 star reviews, post on Nextdoor and local FB groups. Go to businesses and offer to wash their storefront windows to start building a route. If you don't mind ladder work, offer gutter cleaning. Alternatively, instead of subbing out the interior cleaning jobs, to them yourself to cut overheads. I'm in my 2nd year of running a gutter and Window cleaning business on the side, and things are starting to pick up. You just have to keep at it.