Got to $135k ARR without running ads or SEO (focused on content distribution instead)

plumbing101mike

Most marketing advice is vague. Especially when there's a lot of hype around a particular topic, and content distribution is a perfect example.

I set out to do something radically different, so instead of hearing invest 10x more time into content distribution than production, here's what you'll get:

🔹 How I turn ⛔️ 9 likes into ✔️ 200 likes and 100 comments🔹 A sophisticated content distribution system that I use

Content Distribution Your Grandma Could Handle​

This title ain't clickbait. This is actually so easy to do, and yet only a few marketers seem to be doing it.

I'll just give you an example.

A few months ago, I commented on a post. My comment was a simple list of everything I was working on to grow our SaaS and it got 9 likes.

Now, when you get 9 likes on a comment (which has very limited visibility), that usually means that it resonates with your audience and that it has some potential.

If I stopped there, 9 likes would be all I got from it.

But, I didn't stop there. I copied that entire comment and published it as a post on my LinkedIn profile.

Meh. 11 likes and 7 comments still ain't much.

So I didn't stop there either. I went into Airtable with all the Facebook groups where I want to spread my influence to (evil laugh).

I opened most of them in separate tabs and reposted the same thing there.

This took less than 5 minutes. And here's the engagement in a few of them.

https://imgur.com/6Q3h6I2

A single comment, distributed properly, generated around 200 likes and 100 comments.

And as I keep saying, these aren't just vanity metrics.

Whenever I do this, I get...

✔️ Job offers✔️ People asking for marketing advice✔️ Free trial signups✔️ Paying customers✔️ Invitations to AMAs in front of 17,000 members SaaS communities

My framework for creating content that achieves all these goals is, again, so damn simple:
  1. Do a good job
  2. Document the process
  3. Distribute it
Most fail with #1, so that's why you don't see more of that content.

Moving on to more sophisticated content distribution systems.

Content Distribution Your Grandma Could NOT Handle​

My goal for our company in 2021 is to create the best content ever.

The thing is, without proper content distribution systems in place, no one will see that content, regardless of how great it is.

I'll show you how I'm doing it through an example again.

Article title: How Zapier Grew Their Remote Team to 300+ Employees With a 95% Retention Rate

This article is a breakdown of Zapier's systems that allowed them to build a huge, 100% remote company. We modeled some of their systems and they worked great for us too, taking us from 1 to 25 FTEs in a single year.

So, we wanted to document this properly and let everyone benefit from what Zapier learned over the years.

Creating content with distribution in mind is crucial here.

First of all, I picked this topic because I'm counting on its viral potential. Ideally, once published, CEO of Zapier and every other employee is going to share this. But, I'm not sitting around and waiting for that to happen on its own.

This is a 7,000-word mammoth article, so it's not really something you can just paste and publish as a post on Facebook.

That's why I created writing guidelines. This is what the intro of every article in this content series should look like:

✔️ The hook (2-3 lines, focused on the outcomes)✔️ The offer ('here's what you'll get reading this')✔️ The graph (only if we find something relevant)

Here's an example:

'Zapier grew from 0 to $50m ARR in just 6 years. Their whole team was 100% remote from the beginning, now counting 300 employees. 95% of their team members are still with them.

In this article, I'll share all of the systems and processes that went into their epic story. If you want to learn from a 100% remote company and steal their tricks, stick to the end. '

https://imgur.com/o7XeFDw

And now, this intro is a perfect teaser for promoting this piece all over the place.

I've pasted that intro in the table below.

https://imgur.com/uYefpZS

These are all the social media channels where we'll be promoting every article we produce.

Not just social media, we'll also do that on every major platform where our audience spends their time.

https://imgur.com/qITEBpA

For me, that's:

🔹 Growth Hackers🔹 Indie Hackers🔹 Hacker News🔹 Reddit🔹 Medium

You figure out where your audience spends their time.

Finally, here's my entire distribution workflow:

✔️ Create content with distribution in mind✔️ Add it to Airtable✔️ Write a teaser based on the article intro (usually just copy/paste)✔️ Adjust the teaser for each platform and add it to the table✔️ Provide the VA with login credentials of all content platforms✔️ Create detailed VA instructions for each platform (e.g. link in the comments)✔️ Create a posting schedule✔️ Assign the VA to post content all over the place✔️ Assign the VA to gather the engagement data and add it to the same table✔️ Repeat the same process 3 months later (create title/teaser variations)✔️ Assign the VA to gather the engagement data and add it to the same table✔️ Repeat again 6 months later (create title/teaser variations)✔️ Assign the VA to gather the engagement data and add it to the same table

...and you can rinse and repeat this forever.

Thanks for reading the whole thing!

If you have any questions, shoot and I'll do my best to answer them.

And if you found this useful, I share everything I know/do in my SaaS Marketing Grown Ups newsletter.

Take care.

@plumbing101mike It looked like the Facebook groups did the most.

> So I didn't stop there either. I went into Airtable with all the Facebook groups where I want to spread my influence to (evil laugh).

WHere did you get those numbers? Like do you have an airtable with facebook groups and size?