H&M charging more at checkout than listed prices

I often order items from H&M - and occasionally items will cost more at checkout than it was listed for on the product page. Has anyone else had this problem with H&M?

For example, there might be a sitewide 20% off sale (with terms and conditions), and usually items that the sale applies to will have a red "adjusted after discount" price listed on the product page, while items that the sale doesn't apply to are listed as full price on the product page. Say the discount is 20% an item is normally $100, and the product page list the item as $80. It's a fair assumption that the sale applies to that item, right? Evidently with H&M, this is not the case. While most items are charged as the "price tag" price at checkout, sometimes you'll be charged full price despite that discounted "price tag" on a product page.

When contacting customer service, they usually say "oh, that discount didn't apply to plant pots (or whatever) so the discount wasn't taken at checkout, that 'price tag' was just a web error." Then they proceed to offer a lesser discount, leaving me paying a higher price than it was listed for on the actual page (which showed that the item WAS going for the discounted cost).

The last time this happened I was advised that I should have read the fine print of the sale and double checked prices at checkout. What the heck is going on here, and is there a name for this phenomenon? It feels like a scam, and is just bad business for them to not to offer the price tag price to customers once the issue is brought up.

@edwinqui Not sure since it disappeared after the sale was over, they usually say something along the lines of “qualifying items only” and I assumed items listed as being on sale would, in fact, be on sale 😅