Handyman side business — how to emphasize that I only want small jobs?

loxjox

Hello!

I’m a data analyst full-time, but I want to do some handyman side work. I’ve worked some construction and other similar jobs, so I have some experience. I just like working with my hands and wouldn’t mind the extra income.

Since I work full-time, I’m planning to work after hours, which I think will actually fill a relatively unmet need in the market anyway (I can market that people won’t have to take time off work, other convenience, etc.).

However, with that, I only want to do small jobs (toilet replacement, small repairs, things like that). I’m just not sure how to make that clear in the business name or anywhere else.

I’m thinking of making the business “After Hours _______.” The “A” and “H” can be formed into a nice house-looking logo, which I like. I would make it “After Hours Handyman,” but that almost sounds like an innuendo lol. Would “After Hours Home Repair” be better? Something else?

I’m still not sure how to emphasize the small jobs part, I’d hate to constantly be turning down jobs because they’re too big and bothering people.

Thank you!

@loxjox I run a handyman business,I specialize in small jobs I just picked and choose what I'm willing to do. I'm constantly booked 6 weeks out because I'm always on time, honest prices, and do exceptional work. People are understanding when I say no to big projects but some are a little pushy. it's a learning curve for sure

@gossippk10 I’d appreciate someone telling me “you know, this is too big of a project for a solo guy like myself. While I’d love to help, I’d hate to have this project drag on longer than necessary. I can give you the name of someone I’d recommend”.

That scenario is WAY better than hiring someone and they’re already too busy and it takes forever or they try to cut corners.

@gossippk10 Thank you for sharing your experience! My biggest goal is to call every person back. That way, even if I say no, I can still build some rapport with people if they need future work done. The other things you mention are also obviously important, and they will be goals of mine as well lol

@gossippk10 I do some side jobs like this for 20-30 hours a month but I’m considering turning it into a full time deal, I’ve been charging $35 hr but I’m curious what you charge?

@lmoon I charge 45-55 an hour depending on the job and my disposition to the client and the work itself. I never advertise anymore and still receive regular calls. I've been doing it for 3 years on and off.

@rakis Can I ask why you charge by the hour and not by the job? I never liked by hour because the better you get, the more efficient you get. If you charge $55 for a job that takes two hours but in 4 years you can do it in an hour, you’re making less for that job. I get that means more jobs in a day.

And I know there have been jobs that would have saved me if I was paid hourly but I feel like majority of the time I make more when I price by job. I also want to say that I’m in the junk removal space, not handyman space. So maybe it’s different. I do have customers who occasionally complain “$200 in 15 minutes? I need to switch careers” but they still leave good reviews. Haha. But I always love to hear the why and see if I can do things differently.

@towerwatchman You're absolutely right. I tend to give quotes per job but base that on an estimate of my time, assuming I run into issues that slow me down, and provide time for hardware store runs (depending on the project). Also, my clients tend to tack tasks on while I'm around and we can't do it for free.

People always ask me what my hourly rate is, so I often have to strike a sort of balance of the two methods.

@lmoon I just started 5 months ago (4-5 years experience working for the man) and after a month or two I had plenty of work after 4 days of door knocking to kick it off. I charge $85/hour or more for things like faucet and garbage disposal replacements and most electrical projects.

@bluehere I'm located in Las Vegas. Most handyman companies here have an hourly rate this reason is because repair work has so many unknown variables especially when fixing another tradesman work. Their are situations where I need to give an estimate but I usually bid 2 extra hours on what I think it's gonna take to be safe. There is not really a cut a dry answer for pricing. If I get super cool customers that I vibe with and make my work environment more enjoyable I'll cut a discount when I leave. My business gross income last year was 130k I spent probably 30k on material 5K on fuel probably 5k annually on new or upgraded tool/equipment.

5 years in business, never advertised, avg 2 to 3 small jobs a day . Currently booked into November.

Keep you write-offs coming and see about becoming an S-Corp and get those tax rates down. Don't chase homeowners as customers go and get some property management/HOA management companies and you will be swimming in work once you prove you are reliable.