Handyman side business — how to emphasize that I only want small jobs?

@loxjox "we handle the small jobs the big companies turn down".

Name doesn't really matter. Emphasize what you want in your marketing/website/etc. Maybe even a fake "review" to get you started. I've heard countless stories about roofing companies that won't repair a small leak, since they want full replacement insurance jobs.

Only wanting small quick jobs actually gives you an edge in the current market. But make sure to charge accordingly. $100 min per visit, even if it's just to replace a light bulb or smoke detector battery.

@newmove I appreciate that a lot! And yeah, I’ve heard a lot about people not even getting calls back from larger companies, so I’d be happy to fill that need lol

@loxjox "I only want to do small jobs (toilet replacement, small repairs, things like that)" So, just say that clearly. You did it here, you can do it on a business card and wherever else you advertise. It might be a good GMB hack, too.

Nobody gives a fuck about a business name, only what it does for them.

@loxjox You can also always reach out to larger contractors and form some kind of partnership. Feed them leads on larger jobs, they pass off the small stuff to you. I run a larger GC and turn down small stuff all the time because there just isn't enough money in it to be worth the hassle. But if I had a reliable person that was interested in small jobs, I would absolutely recommend them.

@alfred1963 I was thinking something along these lines. At first I was thinking you could get a referral fee for referring larger jobs, but I like this idea too of you both mutually referring jobs to each other. Make sure to partner with a company that is as reputable as you are, though. A referral is a reflection of you.

@loxjox Refer the larger jobs out.
  • Make a commission (10%-20%) off any work you refer.
  • You'll need to find some reputable services.
  • Check Google Maps.
  • Call them up and ask, "Do you have the capacity to take on new work?"
  • (Who will say no to that?)
  • Then tell them the situation and ask if they would be against paying commission for referrals.

@loxjox Some guy just came over to put together a grill for us. Home Depot had a contract with him and dispatched him. Said he clear 20k/month being dispatched by home depot for in home assembly

@montyfish I didn’t buy it tbh either. We paid $120 for the delivery and install. I figure max $70 went to the installer. Took him about an hour. Probably has to drive to another place 30+ min away to finish another job. Would need to make ~$800/day to clear 20k. So unless he is occasionally doing a job where he has to install cabinetry or garage doors or outdoor kitchens, I just can’t see it

@nbffan Interesting. Like someone else already said, I’m not sure I believe that number, but that’s interesting regardless. Thank you for sharing your experience!

@loxjox Use your business card, website and other collaterals to tell what kind of jobs you handle.

Don't use a name that's restrictive and rigid. Your business name should allow you the flexibility to change your business strategy.

If your business is "After Hours", you can never switch to being a full-time business. You might never work full-time, but what if you want to sell your business in future?

Pick your name considering future possibilities.