Home Management as a Service

risensoul

Redditors of Startup_Ideas: I’m told people with the means and multiple homes sometimes hire Home Managers at $50,000+ annually to, you guessed it, manage their homes: fix things that break, manage service providers, etc.

The concept I’m thinking of is to bring this down-market, to people that can afford say a $100 per month subscription (based on number of homes, Sq Ft, etc.), and who don’t have the time, knowledge, or inclination to do everything needed to keep a property in tip-top shape. A local (shared) “Home Manager” would be assigned to you. High level, the offering would be an annual comprehensive home inspection (e.g. what one gets when they enter a contract to purchase a home), which then provides the punch list of items that need to be addressed over the year (tracked via a web-app). For maintenance and break-fix items throughout the year, the service would handle the contractor sourcing and payment; perhaps collect a service fee for each instance and if able, having someone over at the house while the contractor is working. Recurring services, such as as maids and lawn would work the same way, and the service would take over any necessary management. For home improvement, the service could help define the plans, assist with permitting and code research, source contracts and liaise with them throughout the project, and handle payment.

Challenges I see, outside of sourcing customers, are A) managing contractors B) potential licensing (e.g. GC license) and C) creating "systems" to make this as touchless as possible, so this can be scaled and Home Managers can be spread across multiple accounts.

I have seen this concept before, but it’s been localized and unlikely widely adopted. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

@risensoul Is this an alt account that I don’t remember making?! Haha. I have an actual written business plan for this idea! Different name, but basically this. DM me to discuss details.

It’s a great idea, but it’s not common so you will have to explain it to get clients on board.

@i4e I would love to see your business plan. I’m a licensed GC for both residential and commercial, and I’ve built and sold a successful cleaning business.

@risensoul Good ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution is what matters.

Pretty neat idea to be honest and could see an insurance company or similar service provider gobble something like this up.

Are you entrepreneurial yourself or just here to share the idea? I'd say you should build out an MVP and see where it goes.

@claytoncf Thanks for the feedback. I did stumble upon AAA House Manager, which operates in Northern California. Reviews seem to be “good idea, poor execution.”

@risensoul This sounds similar to what people are hiring for Airbnb properties. I know people who hired managers for their Airbnb properties in upstate New York. The manager would be in charge of helping the guests to check-in, house tour and also tidying up the place after their stay. Maybe this is something you could consider expanding into too

@risensoul What about people who have houses an investments and need to take care of the houses. In the Netherlands this is been done by real estate agents. Often offering 4% of the gross rent per year. That's of course just solely the coordination of all home management.

Consider it!