How I failed 6 side-projects in 10 months

john861

After losing my job in December of 2019, I decided to step into bootstrapping my own ideas for a while.

First (don't do this), I worked for more than 6 months on my first idea, a very simple one, but difficult to execute. An email service provider. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

I launched. 1 upvote on Product Hunt, mine... Crickets. I probably cry on the inside.

After spending an immense amount of hours tweaking and fixing and making sure everything was workings, 99.9% of the visits to the landing page, never past from there.

2,058 visits since 20th May. 0 clients. No one has seen my app.

After that, I thought: Ok, if people don't pass from the landing page, I am going to create landing pages and test ideas.

So I create:
  • An alternative to Couchsurfing: 2,162 visits. I made more money from it than from the first project. And I did it in one weekend.
  • A coffee community, 1,716 visits. I got a bit excited and did some features.
  • A digital nomads community in Spanish.
  • Product Hunt in Spanish.
  • SaaS for teachers to simply communicate with students over email, this is using the technology that I created for the first project.
All failed.

What I learned
  • Don't rush into solutions. Find people that have a real problem, talk to them, and then, think of solutions. Every problem, has many solutions, don't rush into making the first one that you can think of.
  • Find clients before making anything. I always think... I will make it share it, and people will see and use it. It doesn't work like that.
  • Don't do it if you need money NOW. Making a product's success takes time. If you are doing it for the money, you are going to rush into the wrong decisions.
That's it. Honestly, I sometimes think to stop and to just work for others. I think that I don't have it, or that I am just not good enough.

But I keep trying. I can't help it. I am sure many of you can relate. At the end of the day, you only need to win once.

@brendanmg Saw a study that show the avg entrepreneur doesn't hit real success until their 7th business attempt... certainly ops drive is going to get them to success sooner than anything else. Keep on trying! Love the build, learn, pivot approach!

@brendanmg
You didn't fail 6 times, you had 6 great learning experiences that will make the 7th try even better!

That's how I'm thinking too. Success is a game of probabilities, so if you try enough times, you will eventually succeed. As a bonus, after each failure, the probabilities get better

@john861 I still find that - even on reddit - it's hard not to have posts deleted for being spam. A lot of the time I was just trying to ask groups what they want/need or just to provide feedback. Fine line between a post and a deleted post.

@613jono Look at my profile and learn. Don't put a link in the posts. Wait until people ask if your product in the post is available for sale and then post a link replying to their comment. I got 3000 people to my website yesterday using this approach

@lovinglife2016 I would add the caveat that asking people what service they would be interested in gets you a lot of truth, but asking people what service they're prepared to pay for gets you a lot of lies.

@aleon Asking people prospective questions, period, gets you a lot of noise. It's best to drill into past behaviour, uncover problems/pain points and keep an eye out for attempts to hack a solution together - a big flag that the thing you've uncovered is real and worth investing more time in. I wrote much more about how to approach customer interviews here.

@john861 You have a marketing and lead generation problem.

If you knew how to growth hack your projects, and optimize your landing pages for conversions then you’ll get customers.

It’s not easy, but you can’t skip this step.

I bet you many of the projects you’ve given up on could still work if you drove targeted traffic to them and improve your conversions.

@ironhorse I think that's probably why my projects are not working!

The thing is... I don't know how to go about that. I tried here and there to share my projects, but I am really bad at it.

Can you recommend any resources to read about it and start with the right foot?

Thanks a lot for reading my post!