How much equity should I give to my new co-founder?

gloria_

I am a solo founder running a startup with $400000 ARR with 0 outside investment with 25% - 35% net margin.
However since I am having to reinvest most of the profits in my startup, the current net margin stands at 10% -12%.
The main issue is I am kinda non technical but I managed to scrap off a dirty gimmicky MVP and managed to peak decent interest from users. And that’s when I started looking for technical co-founders to join my startup; however I wasn’t able to get a full commitment from anyone. There were couple of interest shown and even part time attempts from technical guys in building the product.
However given their well paying IT jobs; none of the supposed co-founders were able to fully jump the ship for the fact that I wasn’t paying them any salaries for we didn’t have any revenues.
These technical guys were ready to join the startup full time provided we were able to raise funds and atleast pay them enough to cover their basic monthly expenses which is quite considerate from their side given the debt they’ve taken to study and work abroad.
So I gathered my own team of 2 devs and started working on a functional MVP. The goal was to prove the concept and apply to an accelerator program like YC. We managed to hit 5000 users in 7 days with $0 marketing spend with a bare bone dirty MVP. No revenue.
I then applied to YC with the Technical guy as a co-founder. We got rejected the 1st time.
I again applied 2nd time to YC with one my dev as a CTO co-founder. The dev reluctantly accepted my proposal.
Again I received an email stating that we were on the top 10% but didn’t get an interview..

So from there on I decided to fully build the product and forget about YC. And just 7 months ago we launched a simpler version of the idea and we’ve done over $150000 revenue just in app purchase alone with a marketing spend of roughly $700 in that time frame.
My startup is a integration of hard goods supply chain and manufacturing and for that reason we weren’t able to fully integrate all the important sales components in our app; so extra 50% - 60% of the revenue had to be processed manually via spreadsheet..

Now that we are about to launch the new feature in app and already gained over 13000 users which is going to grow multiple folds.
I am in a major dilemma since I want to apply to an accelerator again and solo founders aren’t well entertained by most programs. My 2 dev teams are happy working for salary and the most they want is some employee stock options when we hit big. They’ve seen the extent of pressure and stress I had to go through running a bootstrapped company; and they don’t want to bear that part of the experience being a cofounder.
Plus since we are a startup based outside the USA and my team of devs are locals and not a native English speaker; their English communication skills remotely match their technical prowess. I do suck at communication however I do manage to scrap by for the fact that I’ve lived abroad and hold foreign passport so flying to US or any other country for an interview is a no brainer for me.
Sadly that’s not the case for my core technical team and hence adding them as co-founders isn’t technically feasible.

I am currently in talk with few talented people based in the US who could join as a potential co-founder. The rationale is that it’s easy to get in with co-founders and I shall be relieved from some of work burden.
So I am actually confused as to the fair proportion of equity split with my co-founder.
If the negotiation goes right the potential cofounder will join after 2 months and we are on our way to hit $60000 MRR by that time.

I am really tired of bootstrapping and having to select between growth and profit every month.
I am sick of buying 2nd hand furnitures, repaired laptops and scrap equipments for 45-50 employees. Our office space looks like a fish market and employees have to push their way to reach their desk.

And that’s the only reason I want to go the VC route and get a cofounder.

@gloria_ Why even look for a cofounder at this stage?

Your text is hard to read, but im seeing 60k mmr with 10 or 35% profit and 50 employees?

Why not just hire a good dev for 100-200k? Why not just work with an agency? Why not get investment and then pay an agency or a dev?

Thats kind of how things are supposed to work, if you have money. Most startups just dont, so they have to search for another gambler.

And im saying that as a developer... if you have a cool project and can pay market rate, you should not have any problems finding devs at the moment. No need to give up equity.

@avonmora

This - the whole "you need someone with skin in the game to be motivated" line that YC gives is BS, it only applies if you are expecting someone to not take a salary. Pay someone market rate and they will work just as hard.

@avonmora We have our own Tech Depart with 2 in-house devs and 1 in hiring. These are the people I have known for long time and worked for peanuts in the initial stage.
I was only able to pay decent salary once we hit revenue. And these devs are happy to get stock options in the future, and that’s what they expect, nothing more…
And for that reason we don’t outsource our developments but build everything in-house..

My only argument for a technical co-founder is that we can only bootstrap so much and we will eventually need VC funds in a year or two..
None of the startups in my similar space has run bootstrapped as far as my knowledge and experience is concerned. All these startups have raised massive funds from the get go.

I have however luckily managed to be bootstrapped any paying my employees decently providing free fooding, travel expenses and even accommodations while also scaling gradually from the revenue of the business alone…

However we will eventually hit a plateau or a stress point where our profits might not be enough to scale to the level of growth demanded.
We are infact refunding $5k - $7k per month just coz we aren’t able to fulfill those demands.

Hence just playing with the idea of a technical co-founder as a hedge to the future.

@gloria_ I read through the rest of your posts, and if you’re looking for an honest overview of your options, there’s two truths that you should recognise:
  1. You’re not really building a tech startup, it seems like you’re building a business. Subtle but tremendous difference in thinking about what your options are and what steps you should next take.
  2. You don’t need YC, you need a kick in the nuts. You don’t need to hedge your bets, you need to further invest into your operations and people.
I’ve been through (non-YC) accelerators, and you’re far ahead of most people who take that route. Accelerators are for finding product market fit, and it seems like you’re already there, if not, very close. Check out the podcast “The Social Radars” by Jessica Livingston, you’re ahead of most of the companies she’s featured in the YC portfolio. You are more suited for growth, which poses a new set of challenges and investors.

How old are you, and is this your first startup which achieved meaningful revenue? What’s your background? If you’re based in London and want to chat over coffee or something in person, DM me. Youve got great drive, but I think you’re navigating in the wrong direction.

@rusyngirl I agree we aren’t a hardcore tech company like AI, Saas etc.
We are a vertical marketplace platform with a noble way of doing things. There’s been several VC backed startups in similar space which failed, for these companies were started by purely technical founders and they failed to navigate the crucial fundamentals and how the unit economics work..

These startups made products they assumed their target market would love and adopt without understanding the basics and back end process.
Their assumptions were right in surface level only.

I have been working in this Industry for over 14 years now. I am in my early 30s and this is infact my 1st successful startup after many failed attempts.

The reason this startup is showing some sign of progress is coz I started digging the roots and physically worked for 8 years mastering the backend part of the industry. I gained the needed skills and expertise to make unit economics, supply chain and turnaround time work in tandem.

We are mobile app only and haven’t prioritized on website.
I hold a British Citizenship but given the nature of my startup I am currently working from South East Asia where 90% of the operations run.
I do fly to the UK few times a year.
Even though we are also registered in the UK, we don’t currently hold any office there, however we are soon about to open a dispatch office there.

@groov3ydud3 Given our current ARR, our net profit would even barely cover the cost of 1 dev as you’ve proposed..
Our net % margin currently stands around 30% which isn’t enough to even account for bigger scale expansion..

May I assume you’re being sarcastic here??

@gloria_ How about trying to write less and break those paragraphs into one liners. Would ease understanding your whole situation better. Got lost reading after paragraph 1 half way. Maybe that’s just me.

@acacia_mosaic Yea thanks for the suggestion. Just wanted to spread out the details in an attempt to provide a better and fair perspective.
Since it involves a possible equity split, and a brief touchdown might not show the whole picture.
But again I might need to work on my writing skills too..

@acacia_mosaic My only concern is how much equity should I split if a new co-founder joins my startup? What would be a fair and justifiable yardstick taking into account the milestone I’ve achieved as a solo founder laid down in detail in my super long and tedious writing.

The only supposed reason I am looking for a technical cofounder is so that my chances of getting into accelerator program increases.

@gloria_ Do you even need an accelerator? If about investments, why go accelerator route?
2. Co- founder to do what of solving your problem today to tomo? What are you going to be 3-5 years from now and how relevant their contribution would look like? Without understanding your scope of business direction, any number will not be convincing enough.

@acacia_mosaic Even though my startup is to be registered in the UK, 90% of the operations is run outside the registered country which doesn’t have a strong eco system of VC’s. I am in a capital intensive industry and almost all the startups in my industry has raised capital from the get go starting with accelerators.
I was rejected the 1st time (MVP & 0 revenue).
The 2nd time got an email that I was in top 10% (MVP/ 5000 uses/ 0 revenue). Failed to land an interview.

I have luckily managed to bootstrap with unbelievably low investment of $170 only and have grown organically from there on..

And that’s the only reason I am looking to get into a strong accelerator like YC and not for the want of capital but future network..

@acacia_mosaic Sure I can share you the pic of my admin panel and dashboard showing the number of orders and users.. I won’t be able to share u the link to my startup until 2 weeks from now. Since there are certain aspects that needs to be covered before I can share with others. I am more than free and happy to share the other crucial aspects of my company in 2 weeks time.

I will definitely need VC funds after I hit $2 million ARR which btw isn’t really far away. We are already on our way to hit $60k MRR in the coming months.
To hit $10 million ARR we will definitely need capital larger than what our profits can fuel. And I am looking at a year or two from now. Hence I just want to build the network from now.