How to name your startup (or product), and find a great domain name

debate507

Brand names are extremely important: 77% of marketers say that proper branding is critical to growth.

Bad names can be confusing, hard to remember, hard to spell, and hard for your audience to tell their friends about. A bad name makes it harder to build a business -- no matter how much you might personally love it.

But how can you tell the difference between a good name and a bad one?

By following some specific guidelines based on human psychology and consumer behavior... and then scientifically testing your assumptions.

Investors and founders like Paul Graham, Jason Calacanis and Rand Fishkin have talked about the importance of startup names before, but most of the info is pretty basic and just helps you narrow down the ideas you already have.

There’s very little information about the best ways to brainstorm new name ideas, and there’s almost no information whatsoever about validating those ideas with decent numbers of real people (i.e. not just asking friends and family).

Those steps are important because if you choose a name that people:

a) forget easily

b) have trouble spelling, or

c) are confused by

It can make it much, much harder to gain traction.

Even when founders put a lot of thought into what to name their businesses, if they aren’t careful they can still make huge, expensive mistakes. (Recent examples: ConvertKit changing their name to Seva and then back again, or Teachable having to rebrand from Fedora.)

So I did a shitload of research on the best way to pick a name and URL for a startup (or product, or blog).

I collected best practices based on advice from investors and founders, marketing data, and behavioral psychology, and organized it all in one place as a 4-step blog post (which you can see right here).

It covers everything from the most important success factors to follow, to the best ways to brainstorm, to how to A/B test and validate your ideas.

It’s too long to fit into a single reddit post but here’s a summary:

1. Understand what makes a good brand name

Great brand names:
  • Are memorable.
  • Don’t get confused with something else.
  • Are easy to pronounce and spell.
  • Aren’t too long.
  • Are available.
Note that you don’t have to love your brand name, as long as you don’t hate it.

Another thing: the name you choose also doesn’t have to perfectly fit your niche either, as long as it doesn’t clearly imply something different.

2. Use the right tools to brainstorm ideas

Tip: research shows that the early evening is the best time for brainstorming because you’re less likely to filter yourself at that time.

This part covers the best methods for brainstorming, which can save you a hell of a lot of time while producing excellent ideas.
  • Google’s “related searches” feature
  • Thesaurus.com & relatedwords.org
  • The best rhyming dictionaries
  • A few helpful word lists
  • Addition, subtraction & substitution of letters
  • The 3 best domain name generators/search tools
  • The problem with startup name generators
3. Eight rules to cut out all the crappy ideas

Brainstorming is most effective when you don't try to filter or censor yourself, which means you end up with some good ideas... as well as a lot of bad ones. This step helps you quickly get rid of all the bad ideas from step 2. It goes into much more detail about the factors mentioned in section 1, plus adds more like:
  • Sounds like a brand name, not a generic description
  • Not already taken (name, trademark, URL, socials)
  • As short as possible
  • Fits your target audience and aspirations
  • Also: how important is getting the ".com" URL?
4. Scientifically test to pick the best name

All of the above may be enough for you to pick a great name, and if you want to do this as quickly as possible you can stop here. But if you want to be extra sure about it, you need to test your best 2-3 ideas. This section will show you two different tests you can use:

The first test is a survey that goes beyond just asking for opinions; it uses some interesting tricks to actually test for important factors like ease of spelling and memorability. It includes these sections:

Section #1: Hearability Test

This section will tell you how easy it is to hear, understand, and spell your brand name ideas.

Section #2: Word Associations

This section will let you know what your website name ideas make people think of. If one of your URLs makes people think of something dirty, this is how you’ll find out.

Section #3: “Palate Cleanser” Distraction

The most important point of this section is to give people something else to focus on for a minute to see if they’ll forget your brand names. (Because in the next section, we’ll test how memorable the names are.)

In addition, the questions in this section can also help you find out a little more about the people taking your survey.

Section #4: Memorability Test

Remember, you want your name to be as memorable as possible. So now that we’ve distracted your survey takers for a bit, it’s time to find out if they still remember your website name ideas.

Section #5: Emotional Associations

We already asked what people think about your name ideas. Now it’s time to ask how they make them feel.

Believe it or not, you can get much different responses to that simple difference in phrasing.

Section #6: Preference and Trustworthiness

Time to ask, point-blank, which of your site name ideas people prefer and trust most.

The second test takes a more quantitative approach. It uses a free tool called SERPTurkey to mimic a Google search results page to see which of your name ideas people will actually click on more.

If you don’t already have an audience to push these tests to, this section also shows how to get hundreds (or thousands) of people to take them for pennies using Amazon Mechanical Turk.

Important note before you test: be sure to register any domains (buy the URLs) for the names you’re strongly considering. I recommend using Google Domains or Namecheap for this, both of which have limited refund policies for the URLs you don’t want to keep.

If you don’t register your domain ideas, one of your test respondents will register the domain out from under you. Also consider grabbing any likely misspellings, and the major social media profiles.

For a lot more details, including illustrations, take a look at the full guide here.

@debate507 Great timing, I've been racking my brain for good product names this week and really struggling. I'm reading through the guide now, mind if I PM you any questions?

edit - The full post answered every question I had, I came up with some great ideas and now I'm getting ready to test my finalists. Really helpful, thanks!!

@miray Awesome, no problem. Though if you don't mind, it's better to post any questions as comments (here or on the post) so other people can benefit too. Unless you want the privacy, which I understand.

@dlovingbrother Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're succeeding in spite of the name, not due to it (or even helped by it).

The reason I say that is that when you search for "rezi", almost the entire first page of Google is about a different Rezi - the one for landlords and tenants. Looks like they were in Y-Combinator and have been featured on Crunchbase, so it's not like it's some tiny irrelevant blog you can easily beat out in rankings.

@debate507 Great post. One more anecdote that a business school teacher once told me that I sometimes find helpful: a good name should either be new and sound familiar, or be familiar and sound new.

@debate507 Great guide, thanks for sharing.

One important observation, which I constantly make to everyone: Domain Names Mean Shit.

Yup, you don't need to spend any money on a domain name. Extensions matter nothing.

Instead, search that "brand name" you have just created, and see how many results you get, and what is the competition like for that search term.

Your users will never, ever, EVER type "domain name .com" but they will search for "domain name" which should be "brand name".

The less competition on your brand name on search results, the better, as it would be easier to bring it to first page results.

If there is already some other search result there which happens to have extended site links, or information on the right column, then, FORGET about that name and keep looking.

@madphil Thanks, glad you like it!

I think what you're saying is true to a point, but I wouldn't go as far as you have.

I agree that definitely more people search for the brand name or get to it through a link than type in the URL directly. But some do still type in the URL directly.

And I also agree that it matters a lot more whether the name is already "in use" than if the .com domain is simply registered.

But a lot of not-so-savvy people are still confused by the newer alternative TLDs, like for example ".software" or ".marketing". And on the other hand, I think most savvy people associate a .biz URL with spam. In each of these instances a .com address would be significantly better.

It's true that using something like .io or .co or .net instead of .com isn't going to kill you though, especially if your market skews younger or more tech-savvy. Or if you're in the UK then by all means, use .co.uk if you want. If you've found an incredible name that ticks all the other boxes, then it's probably not worth giving up just because you can't get the .com.

But all other things being equal, the .com is better because it's still what most people in the US think of as the default.

@debate507 In my agency, we're currently managing websites for 2 large FMCG companies. Brands that are global, websites with an aggregate of billions page views per annum.

Less than 20% visits come via direct - that is, typing the domain directly.

Of that 20%, we assume the vast majority to be bots and crawlers.

We took it a step further, as one of the clients were getting extorted to pay $500k to purchase a local domain on a country where some other company owned it. They tried going via trademark dispute, ICANN dispute, to no avail.

Finally, they did a simple research with IPSOS. Survey a panel of target users who had a strong level of brand awareness and understand their behaviour. 0%, and I repeat, 0% of the total population typed the domain name.

Thus, they didn't spend the $500k the owner was asking.

@madphil Wow, that 0% is illuminating. Pretty large sample size?

Traffic from improperly tagged links in email blasts gets thrown into the "Direct" bucket as well.

Anyway, I appreciate the conversation.

@debate507 I can't really remember, but the key factor was that consumers were brand aware.

But it was enlighting enough to save them $500k on buying a domain they didn't really need.

In the end, it was all a waste of money anyway (the disputes, the research, etc), because the client finally went for domain.com/country

e.g.
domain.com/GB for UK
domain.com/ES for Spain
domain.com/PL for Poland

Following iso codes, as they were having SEO authority problems by having so many different domains locally.

@madphil Related to that, lots of brands now are going for an easy and memorable brand and making the domain related instead of just the name. So if a product calls itself Clover they buy getclover.com. Opens up a lot more possibilities and a clean name can instill confidence in the product even without the 100k domain name.

Back