How we made $20K in sales WITHOUT an MVP, to fund out MVP

fanofgod1992

Within 2 weeks, I ran a campaign that generated over $20,000 in pre-launch sales that funded my MVP all from a Powerpoint Presentation delivered in 15 mins.

I'm going to tell you how with examples, because a lot of people talk about the principle of doing this, but don't show the execution.

Here's what I did:

1 - WAITLIST​

I created a simple opt-in page for a Waitlist and a logo.

Posted about this a few times on social media which generated approx 100 people in the waitlist.

2 - PROOF OF CONCEPT​

I created a very basic version of what I wanted (Imagine if Audible just created ONE audiobook - that's what I did. I created ONE prototype product.)

3 - BASIC MARKET DATA SURVEY & SEEDING OFFER​

I send out an email to my existing business database of 1500 people, asking if they would fill in a quick 2 min survey about Books. I asked questions such as:
  • Would you find value in a service that did X and Y?
  • How much would you expect to pay for a service like this?
  • What would you love to see included in a service like this?
  • Would you be interested in being offered a personal & private walkthrough to this world's first service that does XYZ? ("seeding" the offer)
This generated close to 180 responses, with 90%+ being favourable towards the idea and being offered a private demo.

Now, I have approx 300 people (waitlist + survey) who had shown interest in the idea.

4 - Powerpoint Pitch Deck​

I developed a Powerpoint Pitch Deck, originally to try to find investors, but then adapted to consumers. My goal was to develop a dynamic pitch that could be completed within 15 mins, that was compelling with an irresistible offer at the end.

I tested this Pitch deck with a few leads from the 300 and found that almost everyone was saying Yes and buying in.

Here is an actual (16 min) presentation:

5 - Sales Person​

I hired a sales person and trained them in delivering the 15 min presentation. We role played this a few times each, and when I felt like he could do a good job of it, I set up an online calendar and moved to the next stage to book each person in for their private walkthrough.

6 - Recorded a Teaser Video to Promo the Private Walkthrough Demo​

I recorded this teaser video and sent it out via email and messenger to everyone that was on the survey (I promoted the survey a few more times via email and social media which bumped up the numbers to approx 250). Teaser Video:

Here is an exact Social Media message with slid into people's DM's with after they showed interest (like or love or comment):

Thanks for liking my post.

Are you interested in previewing this brand new Hypnotic Book Learning Service?

You'll be one of the first in the world to preview it, if so.

Please book in a suitable time for a 15 min preview with Kai here if you are curious:

https://calendly.com/booknotic/bookhere

Book fast, as his spaces are filling fast.

I'd love to hear your opinion on this!

7 - Rack 'em & Stack 'em - Crazy 2 Week Sales Campaign​

My sales guy was booked solid with 3-4 appointments every hour for 4 - 6 hours every day for close to 2 weeks, and we had something like 92% conversion rate. Almost everyone loved the idea, loved the concept, loved our short and direct delivery, and loved the 3-year special offer we made to them.

Here is an example of my sales guy making a sale in 13 mins:

RESULT​

This generated over $20,000 in sales within 2 weeks, and gave us the cashflow and market validation to invest further in building the MVP.

4 weeks later we launched the Web App to our early adopters and we were off and running.

Fluke? Can I do it twice?​

12 months later I set up another startup using a similar approach and within 2 weeks generated over $20K in sales. Not bad, right?

I'm not suggesting my approach is the best, and I can definitely see areas for improvement now, but when you are in the thick of taking massive action, progress trumps perfection, right?

Hope this helps someone out there take their idea to the next stage.

Happy to answer any questions.

EDIT: Added the template for the DM invite to get people booked in.

@fanofgod1992 OP don't listen to the haters! You did it the right way to get your idea validated.

Those who are whining in the comments have never bootstrapped a business:
  1. Contact lists - if you don't have access to an existing list, you can start doing things that don't scale - reach out to your existing network, and ask for introductions to someone who fits your ideal buyer persona. Reach out to people on LinkedIn, hit up CrunchBase, Slack groups, etc. It will obviously take you much longer than emailing to 1,500 people list but all it costs is your time.
  2. Building out a concept - you can create a no-code prototype with cheap no-code tools like Bubble, Softr, StackerHQ or design tools like Figma. All you need to make sure is that it's clickable and people can clearly understand what solution you're delivering so they can provide you with actionable feedback.
  3. Recruiting a salesperson for a commission makes perfect sense. If you're a founder and you think you're gonna hire a team of designers and devs at $100K a pop, you're delusional. Most of the members that will be joining your startup at the early stages will do it for free because they're sold on your vision and not the money. And if you can't sell someone on the idea of your business in the early stages, then you should get a cofounder who's great at selling, improve your persuasion skills or get ready for a rude awakening.

@aldericus I don’t think an audiobook constitutes an MVP.
The MVP was the full web app.

But I guess anyone can have their own interpretation on what an MVP is for them.

@twointwomillion Skepticism and pessimism are two different things. Business requires risk analysis in a world of hustlers 😂 hype is just as vile as extreme cynicism, although wanting to understand the exact mechanics is understandable.

@leigh262 Yeah I’ll take #1 on the chin as being an advantage. But who wouldn’t take every advantage they can to ensure their startups success?

2: Sales person worked on commission only. No money needed.

3: Social media presence? Who doesn’t have a SM presence in someway these days.

That’s like pointing out having an email address as being so starter advantage.

@fanofgod1992 Ignore the haters here. For a sub that's about entrepreneurship, you might think it's r/antiwork instead. People are super cynical and at the same time demand an exact step by step algorithm that does all the hard work for them.

I think that they believe that if they can dismiss anyone's success they don't have to feel bad about themselves. It's learned helplessness with a side of extreme victimhood.

That said, @fanofgod1992, How did you find the commission only sales people? Good luck. Your post was excellent and I'll use a few ideas you've shared here.

@twointwomillion Thanks.
Yeah I see that learned helplessness also.

Easier to throw stones and pick holes, than rolling up the sleeves and getting to work, right?

I found comms only sales people by reaching out to my network. Posted on social media “Looking Sales People - Flexible hours, work from home, selling a new online service to help people learn”

I found someone that was a good cultural fit, who was coachable, hungry to make quick good money, who was willing to put in the effort.

I also showed him my ‘beta’ sales run to show him how easy it was to convert and earn $75/$100 per hour.

Once someone believes they will make good money then being comms only isn’t a concern.

@fanofgod1992 Appreciate you taking the time to answer :)

One of the issues I'm running into myself is that my conversion rates on the Zoom calls are low.

People tend to respond with "I need to think about it."

Even though the product is a great deal and has social proof.

Any tips there?