How/when to know to drop a project? Rude, disrespectful client - but only client

@dravadia Wow that's really something. I think I'm going to keep this in my back pocket, if the relationship gets worse it'll be my last ditch effort to make it work.

@mignonvds Stand up to the client even talk shit to them. Confidence is all you need. 35k a year is not worth taking shit from anyone. Good luck young one.

@mignonvds Money won't buy you sanity. It will pay for therapy afterwards, but do you really wanna get to that point ? You're already unhappy with the client and you say you've got a full-time job that pays the bills. I wouldn't want to exchange my mental and physical* health for 35k/y if there are other options.

(*Usually too much stress and bad mental health makes for additional physical problems later on)

@mignonvds In Construction, we have a document called " Scope of Work". It details who does what, what the general time line is and expected results. Its useful to stop finger pointing, and to hold people accountable for specific duties and time lines.

Just a thought.

I was taught many decades ago,... " in business, whats not on paper, doesnt exist ! " Good intentions will ruin a good relationship when the other side plays by different rules.

On the flipside, Contentious customers will teach you alot... 😒

@mignonvds Get rid of them. They’re a drag on your emotions and your resources. You’re likely to miss out on new opportunities because you’re wasting time trying to appease them.

@mignonvds I’ve always felt better about dropping clients I dread.

You could try curating your interactions so they know what to expect, or find a way to keep them at ease. If the two of you can’t cooperate beneficially, try subletting the contract and just take a cut. You already fulfilled the role of sales when you closed the deal. That’s where the money is.

@mignonvds I’d say, it sounds like you’re looking to keep them if you can make it work. The best thing for this is having very good communication and strong set expectations. Set what you’re responsible for, and do that well. If they want to drop you because they’re trying to weasel more than they’ve paid for, or something else, that’s on them. If they’re unhappy, trying to fix is always a good step, but in the future make sure expectations are set BEFORE work is done. Then, if they’re dissatisfied, remind them that this was how they asked for it to be done.

Nothing comes from poor communication other than more problems - ever. Never ever. Hard conversations will always be easier done yesterday than tomorrow. Find their issue, fix it, then find out why it was an issue. Make sure it doesn’t happen again, and that everything is in writing

Good luck!