I made a website that can find sports arbitrages

keepimguy

A sports arbitrage is where you bet on every outcome of a sporting event, e.g. win, draw, loss and be guaranteed to make profit

I’m a CS grad and web developer by day, but been itching to build something. I personally don’t gamble, but wanted something where I could integrate a front end, backend and database and figured out how to get a whole bunch of sports odds data.

Its been live for one month and I’ve already had 20k page views and 3k new users.

If you’d like to check it out go to www.sportsarbitragefinder.com

Still trying to figure out the best way to monetise it, any ideas??

@keepimguy hmm if you aren't interested in making the arbitrage bets yourself the obvious move would be to collect some service fee or commission?

It does seem like you would make a lot more money just using your data to place a ton of these bets yourself though instead of sharing that info?

Automating the bet placing if possible would make it scale that much better... or if not possible to automate due to captchas or whatever just hire some mechanical turk or some high school kid and pay them a slave wage to click some buttons lol 😂

@613jono Hey yeah I think a service fee would work well.

To be honest I would place a heap of bets if I was from the UK or Europe, but I am in Australia where the arbitrages aren't very good!

Haha and maybe not to the slave wage thing..

@keepimguy a couple thoughts:
  1. why do I need an access key? why not just use email/password login? or no login at all?
  2. it would help if you elaborated a bit more about how the arbitrage works.
cool idea! I might use this even though I know nothing about betting

@yazzy Hey great questions,

I have also been thinking that a login would be better, to be 100% honest I don't know how to implement a login! It's something I need to learn. I also like the idea of collecting/storing as little user data as possible - so no names, passwords etc with that. Ah and one final thing, with an access key, it limits how many requests users can make to prevent DDOS attacks, abuse of the site etc, it also makes users accept the terms of use.

Also the idea behind the access key was to make it as easy as possible to get going with the website. Normally with websites, there is a whole bunch of information and jargon when all you want to do is just do what you went there to do. Once you have an access key and enter it, your browser will remember it and you just get going finding arbitrages.

Also, thanks for the feedback regarding more information - ill look into adding something to my website :)

Cheers

@mercy7able Im using angular 2 and nodejs for the back end. To be honest I would probs be able to work it out, I think Auth0 is a popular options or maybe something else - I think I just like the simplicity of an access key. Do you have any recommendations for auth?

@keepimguy for arbitrage in general what is the minimum amount of money you have to put up. and what is the expected average return on it. This is my first time hearing about it so I am very interested

@zekavica Really depends, and there is no minimum that you have to put up, but ideally you want to find arbitrages with a 2-4% profit return, obviously more the better but this is what they generally come out to be. That way you could put say $400 on one side and $300 on the other (as an example) and make $30 ish profit.

You are never going to get rich arbitrage betting, but it takes pretty minimal effort to place bets, and you might make a few hundred bucks a month if you're from a region where there are good arbitrages.

I new to this as well - more interested in the web development/data analytics than the profit - but certainly want to hear peoples experiences using the website.

@keepimguy That's pretty awesome.

Since users would be exposed to multiple betting sites they're not yet a member of, you should include referral links. That's how to monetise.

Although a service like this is probably against their terms and conditions.

@jamesdoeith Yeah the only thing is they don't condone arbitrage betting - I have tried reaching out to the betting exchanges, as they normally like arbitrage bettors, but have heard nothing back!

@keepimguy For everyone here interested in arbitrage betting here is few issues with doing it:
1. You will have to make accounts in many bookmakers and verify accounts which is a lot of hussle.
2. Many bookmakers do not allow this kind of betting in theirs terms and conditions so you risk having trouble cashing out winnings and getting your account banned.
4. There is danger of bookie changing odds or blocking match for betting and if you already made bet in other bookies you can end up with losing money.
3. To make it worth your time, risk and hussle you need to bet larger sums of money as most arbitrage oportunities give 1-4% profit.

All that being sad it is definitely possible to meke money this way.

@praying4you Great points - it certainly isn't completely risk free. I only heard about arbitrage betting about a month ago before I made this website so keen to learn more and hear some stories of people who got banned, bets cancelled etc

Yeah i think best case scenario, you make a a little money, but definitely not worth quitting your day job for it!