I Need Space

didactics

Hey all! Quick question for all you people who think outside the box!

My furniture business is (thankfully) growing rapidly, and storage space is becoming a limiting factor. I could keep slowly taking over my storage facility’s G row of units, but one big open space would be ideal.

What I DON’T want is to rent space where I’m going to need to pay power, water, expensive insurance, etc. I’m used to working in the weather with none of that, and I don’t want to pay for something I don’t need.

I’ve literally considered buying a small piece of land and putting just a big steel structure on it, but zoning seems to be an issue.

TLDR: I need a big space for my furniture without having to pay for much else except the space itself. I’d love your ideas!

@didactics Once you get established... get a Butler Building, Kansas City's finest ! They can hook you up with a design-build contractor who can handle all the permits, drawings, etc, and you won't have to hire an architect. Beat them down on price by threatening to use "building X" and they will have to drive by it every day.

Tent - My area recently had a large tornado that took out my favorite furniture store. They are up and running again in a large circus-like tent.

Flex-space. Some warehouses will rent to you by the SF you use. Sometimes they have to demise the space with a firewall, but sometimes, they will just run some duct tape line down the floor and say, "this is yours, pay for what you use". When you grow, the tape moves and so does the rent.

Addendum: insurance isn't expensive, get it.

No water, what are you doing, making your workers drive to McDonalds to use the toilet, come on man 🤷‍♂️

@didactics Check out Cubework. They have a location in KC. Rent as much or little warehouse space as you need. I looked into them before I found the space that I'm in now.

@didactics I got super lucky and found a 24/7 mini storage place that had 20x30 units with lights and power and they allow me work there. And for a fairly reasonable price.

@didactics Hi, I restore old tools and thought about going to another level and restoring furniture. Any recommendations on good places to learn or specific videos. I think I get the basic just strip varnish sand and restain and fix broken parts.

@katxo I LOVE this idea. The only issue is that I live in an apartment and don’t have anywhere to put the trailer, so I’d need to find some fairly inexpensive land for it