I sent cold emails to famous CEOs for my business and had a 40% success rate. This is how..

kdhw1470

Cold emails are an underrated tool to build your network. I had a 40% success rate with cold emails for my side-project. Using cold emails, I managed to speak to CEOs of large companies, actors, authors and many others. Here's how you can do it too...

1/ Use clearbit and RocketReachCo to locate the relevant email address.

If the person you're trying to reach isn't a business leader then it's unlikely you'll find their email. In this case, look for whether they have a nominal role at company e.g. Chief Evangelist at X Corp

2/ Use a credible email domain.

Instead of using my personal email, I used my university email to send cold emails. Depending on what university you're associated with, this can be a huge credibility boost.

3/ Be direct and explain why them.

I requested a 30 minute virtual interview for a side-project. I mentioned the purpose of the interview and why I thought their voice and representation was important to the success of the project. The why shows you've done your research.

4/ Share names of other people you've interviewed.

At first, I listed the people I was hoping to interview. After I had completed my first big name interview, I shared a short clip of that interview and a list of prospective interviewees in all of my future cold emails.

5/ Request introductions for future interviewees.

At the end of each interview, I asked my guest whether they had any recommendations for future guests. This was very powerful as it lead to introductions with other amazing guests.

6/ Cross-fertilise your network.

I was constantly looking for opportunities to introduce my guests to each other. This allowed me to bring value back to my guests and build a real relationships with them. The best networking is when you connect people to each other.

7/ Stay in touch.

Some of my guests have become my friends. In fact, after realising we had similar interests outside of our jobs, I collaborated with one of my guests on a side project. Hopefully this is helpful when you send your next cold email!

/END

This content is all part of my mission to help more people become part-time entrepreneurs. If you found this post useful, please upvote! For more content like this please subscribe to my newsletter called Living For The Weekdays (weekdays.substack.com) or follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/_ahmedzaidi).

@kdhw1470 The major factor why they reply would be your educational ties. Most CEOs are happy to share their experiences for the benefit of education/university . So really the most important point of your post is the 2nd one.

@beseiber A large portion of my clients come from cold email. Regularly meet with large brands.

This post is a goldmine and your comment reflects a poor mindset on this , in my opinion

@kdhw1470 I really like your fifith point.
As I am from europe cold emailing is kinda out of the question for me. Well technically its not, but absolutely frowned upon.
But that question is really very innocent. I would advise though to read the room and judge if that is a apropriate thing to ask.

Cheers.

@phegnomenal I’m based in the UK ! Where it’s also frowned upon. But to be honest, it didn’t hold me back. If they don’t want to talk to me, they’ll just ignore the email.

@kdhw1470 I know Europeans aren't as responsive as other areas. You might get more no's or fuck off's on average, but you'll still get responses.

After you get past the first few you'll never think on it again.

@joyousli Here's a sample email:

Dear John Doe,

I’m a researcher at XYZ University but I contact you as a member of the ABC Institute, an interfaith/intercultural research centre at XYZ University. The ABC Institute exists to build bridges between different communities and tackle polarisation.

I’m running an interview series with the ABC Institute called My Side Project where I sit down with actors/actresses, activists, academics, world leaders to hone in on their “purpose” and how their work contributes towards that purpose. For example, recently I interviewed A FAMOUS PERSON about ‘storytelling’ and its importance in tackling racism and discrimination and touched briefly on his interfaith marriage and faith. Other interviewees include FAMOUS PERSON A, FAMOUS PERSON B, FAMOUS PERSON C.

I would love to sit down with you to talk about John Doe's COMPANY and social conscious media as well as your (John Doe's religion) faith and how that’s influenced the decisions in your life. The work you’re doing with (John Doe's COMPANY) is exactly the sorts of initiatives I’d like to highlight and cover in this series. The interview would be via Zoom and last around 30 mins. Would this be possible?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.