I studied how Trello went from being bootstrapped to a $425 million acquisition. Here is what I found

alfie13

Trello went from being bootstrapped to being acquired in a monster $425 million deal by Atlassian. They even grew their user base by 426% in just 3 years. It's a masterclass in PLG, marketing & branding. Here is what I learned from Trello:

The vision & early launch

Joel Spolsky & Michael Pryor, the founders of Trello were both developers & met working at a startup.

They started a company Fog Creek from which the first prototype of Trello was spun out Their MVP? Create a to-do list that was only 5 items long.

The Trello founders saw companies sticking notes on boards & walls to get s**t done. The value prop emerged.

Trello = An all-purpose tool that turns sticky notes into a collaborative & real-time tool for cross-functional teams.

All purpose tools are hard af to build since users request features specific to their use-case. Trello was built like lego blocks & was executed in 4 stages:
  • see feature request
  • identify underlying pain point
  • build for the pain point
  • convert into all purpose feature
Their product vision

For executing more specific use cases, Trello created its Power Ups feature that could convert a simple Kamban board into an internal app solving a specific internal business workflow.

Since Trello was an all-purpose tool, the founders made sure there was ZERO friction to use Trello so they made it completely free to use.

Their goal = reach 100 million users & monetize the 1%. Their formula = Big number, charge a small fraction, make a bunch of $$$.

Freemium pricing brought in 500,000 users in the first year for Trello. They launched at TechCrunch Disrupt & were gaining 1000s of users each day with ZERO paid marketing but they ran into a big problem.

Monetizing Trello

Trello users started to churn saying since it was free, it would end up shutting down. The founders realised that not charging people became a friction point So they created an MVP Pricing Model.

Trello wanted a pricing model that supported organic growth. They dismissed charging per board or charging per card. They started by charging a flat fee of $200 per company It worked out terribly.

Flat-fee pricing grew Trello's users by 400% but they had companies paying as low as 4 cents/user/year because of the number of users they had. They were bleeding $$$ so they switched to usage-based pricing And offered 3 pricing tiers - Trello Gold, Business & Enterprise.

Trello Pricing Tier is simple.

Tier 1 = $5/ month/user + 3 additional Power Ups.

Tier 2 = $9.99/month/user + unlimited Power-Ups.

Tier 3= $20.83/month/user + personalized onboarding Trello used growth loops to trigger user acquisition & expansion revenue.

Trello PLG Strategy

Trello user acquisition + expansion revenue growth loop is simple but effective.

A user is on the free plan. She invites a colleague, who has never used Trello to join her board. Trello Gold is gifted to her for 1 month for referring a new user

Trello uses Feature as marketing. The Power ups feature allow users to build integrations with 3rd party apps.

When a new Power-Up is launched, the 2 companies promote it on websites, blogs & social media.

Organic growth + high-quality backlinks + cross promotions = more users.

Trello Organic Growth Strategy

Their organic content marketing engine is insane. 1 million people read the Trello blog each month. Their topics cover:productivity hacks, collaboration tricks, case studies, remote work.

They collab with other brands & create marketing assets & acquire high DA backlinks

Trello's mascot Taco makes brand recall value very high. Taco is founder Joel Spolsky’s Siberian husky.

They turned him into an adorable cartoon & proudly use him in all aspects of Trello’s branding and marketing. Even their marketing emails are sent as “Taco from Trello”.

Trello invests strongly in community-led-growth. The company has a private Slack channel for its most dedicated fans where they chat with each other & Trello team members about:announcements, best practices, product feedback, work, productivity.

Trello does the basics right wrt user acquisition & activation:
  • Identify low hanging fruit in the new user journey
  • Notice how people get invited to boards
  • Observe How people behave on the landing page
  • Study how they get into the app.
8 key lessons from Trello's growth
  1. Create simple MVP
  2. Talk to users
  3. Use Freemium + PLG + Growth loops
  4. landing page + onboarding is 80-20 for PLG
  5. Features can work as a marketing channel
  6. Build a memorable brand
  7. Create a community
  8. Build content & partnerships
You can check out the entire post here.

@alfie13 I think what isn't emphasized enough here (and I say this as a huge fan of Trello and Joel Spolsky) is that Joel Spolsky had/has a HUGE audience. I remember watching his announcement video of Trello. They launched to a huge crowd of people eagerly willing to try this new product.

Very few of us have that luxury. If you have an audience AND you come up with an excellent product, it's hard to see how you could fail. If you just have an excellent product, it's an uphill battle -- you have to fight to get eyeballs on your product.

@hasina Yes! Spolsky’s blog was extremely successful and influential at the beginning of the century. Every developer I knew read it. There is nothing as big and influential as Joel on Software was today. It was like a religion for people who were fed up with the traditional corporate ways of software development. And then Spolsky co-created Stackoverflow, which redefined software development again. And, building on all this success, he published Trello. Trello was a good product, but would have never caught on like that without that audience.

@luvthetruth 100%.

the audience is always hardest. even if you have a great idea you need the audience first to know what to build.

first few products i spent like 6 months building in silent and then nobody used it in the end. now i try to get ~ 100 people on a waitlist first before building anything.

i think its quite common for technical people as we just want to build cool stuff ha. things like cold start problem and ideahub can help though.

@hasina True! But on the flip side, Jason Cohen's WP engine got a lot of attention via his super famous blog but no sign-ups. Sure you can get eyeballs on the product but ig you still have to put in the work to make it a economically viable product! But yeah Joels following def made things easier!

@alfie13 Oh absolutely. I'm not saying there's some magic key to success. An audience doesn't guarantee that success. But I sure wish I had that same audience!

@alfie13 Looks like a pretty straight forward journey now, when they are sustainable already. But I can imagine how much time they spent making mistakes and looking for the decisions which finally worked out.

Super inspiring, by the way!

@alfie13 Trello was the first mover to the kanban board model. It was also simple to use. I used it about a years after they started launching and I remembered those 2 were the factor that stand out compared to their competitors. All other factors are really not that important in my view for growth.

@khazarian1 Simplicity was their mo from day one. They wanted to build trello like a sticky notes that was collaborative and make sure everyone could see what their team was upto.