I'm one of the 2 employees in my company. It went down steeply from 10 in a 6 month period. Should I stay or risk it?

drewmarshall

We're a 3-4 years old startup (not sure if that name applies anymore) and we've been in R&D stealth mode. I joined in 2 years ago.

The business side was struggling to make a single sale and everyone (10ppl) except 2 of us has left. I like the work we do and like the founders, so I stayed. But it's still pretty depressing and empty.

Suddenly, things have started to look up. We'll have our 1st customer in a week. The customer is huge and will refer us to some others.

I've stock options. And these guys may start getting investment. Is this a good reason to stay? Because it's soooooo boring here and I've no social life because I work with 1 other dude.

@drewmarshall Why would you stay two years and then jump ship when you say things are just starting to look up? I am not sure why you why you are even asking the question.

@spatma 4 year old startup and they are just now getting 1 customer - maybe. That's a red flag for me.

We'll have our first customer in a week.

It's great to be excited about a customer in the funnel! But this doesn't mean they will convert. I suggest waiting to see if they do. When I say convert, I mean they are paying you for your service!

I wonder if there are some other questions you should be asking? Like, "why haven't we gotten a customer yet?"

@drewmarshall
I've no social life because I work with 1 other dude.

Here's a life tip for you, whether you work with one person or 1000 people, don't make your work friends your social friends. Get a different circle of people that you don't work with and go hang out with them. It helps clear your mind and you can focus on the job a lot better when you're there.

@kcir Exactly. I never overlap work and social circles if at all possible. Lots of advantages, including being able to switch employers (or divisions/locations in a large employer) without affecting your social life.

@kcir Dingding.

Exactly.

Here and there someone will become a social friend, but that should be the exception. I've only had it happen once before.

@drewmarshall Hey, well if your trust in your product/service/whatever you should stay. And of course, you must be satisfied with your life generally, if you are not (free time issue/money issue...you name it..) then leave

@drewmarshall What exactly is the issue you're struggling with? If there are many pick one, maybe the easiest one and fix that one first. Remember it's easiest to find a job when you have a job.

Finally, join a gym, a painting club, disc golf team. Break the routine.