Is a 'Man with a Cherry picker a.k.a bucket truck' a good business to start?

@yearning4yeshua No, not in the UK anyway anymore in my experience

When you factor in maintenance etc and the prices offered by the competition, the money isn't in it

Unless you were into something very niche where you had a licensed skill to offer alongside it

@qork Yes, the costs stack up.

I've had success in a previous business being a reliable subcontractor for larger companies with overflow. Because these companies have multiple layers of management and head or regional offices their overheads are high, and so their quotes have to be. That means there's plenty of room to subcontract to me and then mark me up.

Following that line of thinking, I'll speak to the power companies, for instance. Although I won't be licensed or skilled to actually do the work, I can supply the machine and support an engineer from the ground.

@yearning4yeshua I operate an arborist company with my partner. In our area, it is very uncommon for tree services to rent out bucket trucks. Most companies purchase their own, or just don't take that kind of work. Do some good research and look at what rental companies are offering and at what prices- why would someone rent from you instead?

As for starting an arborist company without any experience.... no. Please don't, our trees need qualified, trained professionals working on them. We have the highest insurance rating for a reason, it's dangerous, people DIE every year.

If I were to buy a truck, I would do a mini crane truck. Something for small loads, for projects by homeowners, small projects etc. I think this is where there is a gap in services in my area.

@yearning4yeshua There's tons of work up high: christmas light, gutters and soffits, hornets nests. The guy who mentioned signage is right; you can clean sign faces and pylons, if you're not up to doing the work you can get paid to just open the sign and take pics of the lights and components.

Back