Is it true 90% of startups fail, 10% succeed? What do the 10% do differently?

@ibelieve10 Here’s an example that’s worked well for me. I run a bicycle shop and I meet a decent amount of people that have money. I’m also working on my first tech startup. I listen to a bunch of podcasts, but not soley start up related stuff. I listen to podcast about politics, economics, current events, health and fitness, etc. I can’t tell you the amount of times that I’ve been in conversation with one of these wealthy people and just brought up some piece of information I learned in a podcast, and that led to a great conversation which ultimately ended up leading to connections with potential investors and other valuable resources. By being a curious person and learning about all kinds of topics I became more impressive and interesting person to talk to which has helped me form business connections. If you think of luck like rain and you have a bucket to capture it, you want to build the biggest bucket possible. Doing things like what I mentioned above grow your bucket and when the opportunity inevitably rises you will be more prepared to take advantage of it. That’s just one example but there’s a lot of other ways to: move to an area with more capital and talent, reach out to people you think could be helpful even if there’s a small chance of them responding, try to conversate with a lot of people on a deeper lever, join groups that help you network with smart people, go to events where wealthy people are, etc.

@zwrrel Do you have any podcasts you particularly like to listen to? I’m interested in learning more just about the world because I find it fun to have miscellaneous knowledge, but don’t think I’m listening to the right stuff. I’d love some input!

@truevc_3rdostridge Yeah for sure! Here are all the ones I’m subscribed to:
  • Morning wire for a short news update (on the more conservative side but nothing crazy)
    -Morning brew: A less serious morning daily news show that still covers great topics
  • Ben Greenfield Life: Really interesting discussions on health, fitness, and bio hacking. I’ve been listening since 2014 and it’s still in my top 5 favorites
  • All-in: 4 ultra rich, successful tech investors talking politics, business and startups
  • BG2: 2 legends of the VC game talking about tech and startups
  • My first million: two successful business guys interviewing under the radar business figures and brainstorming and breaking down businesses
  • The Tim Ferris show: In depth interviews with top performers, lots of cool and unknown people
  • Founders: each episode does a breakdown of a business book about someone
  • This week in Startups: great show to keep up with the tech and startup ecosystem
  • Joe Rogan Experience for a really wide range of interesting discussions
  • Building culture: relatively new but talks a lot about how we can build better cities and communities through better urban design and architecture
  • Joe lonsdale American optimist: successful business guy and investor talking to people about solving americas issues with innovative solutions
  • Breaking points: news show with really good in-depth coverage
  • Tetragrammaton: wide ranging interviews by legendary music producer Rick Rubin (covers a lot of topics you wouldn’t expect from him, not all music related)
  • The knowledge project with Shane Parrish: insights to help you live a better life
  • modern wisdom with Chris Williamson
  • acquired
  • History that doesn’t suck
  • The drive with Peter attia
  • RFK Jr. Podcast
  • Bio eats world
  • daily stoic
  • how I built this
  • BBC global news podcasts
  • Lex Friedman: Really great and in depth
Hope that gives you a good starting place. If that list seems overwhelming realize that I don’t listen to every episode of all those pods, I listen to almost every episode of maybe like 4 and the rest I just see what episodes peak my curiosity by the description and listen to those. I got tired of writing descriptions for the ones at the end but they are all very good!