Is starting a business a sign of a midlife crisis?

@edwinqui 😂Checking the stats. As of 2024, the percentage of women billionaires is 13.3%. Men hold a significant share. Out of the 13.3% women, a couple are heiresses. Not to mean they don't work for it, but they didn't build it from scratch.

@huntbchsocal Is a mid life crisis something to ignore? Is it even bad? It seems like it’s just a realization that the circumstances preventing you from chasing your dreams have never been real, unlike your mortality.

It’s hard to find the time to reach this conclusion until your hierarchy of needs have been fulfilled for a long time. Hence the “mid life” crisis.

@ej13 I recently read that we all do or should experience symptoms of a midlife crisis like questioning past decisions, contemplating death, and concerns over retirement...however the "crisis" comes when a person is paralyzed by those fears and starts doing irrational things like sports cars, affairs, drugs etc

@huntbchsocal Oh. Then I guess we have different definitions. The one you get off Google is just a period of intense self-identity reflection. It doesn’t imply all those negative things.

Regardless, if people around you are saying you’re having a mid life crisis for wanting to start a business they’re just not very nice. You should talk to people who have businesses instead.

@huntbchsocal It could be but maybe you always wanted to start one, age is not a factor anymore these days, people can be 14 or 74 and can pursue their passion, go for it but don't quit until you start gaining steady revenue from the business

@himaboveall I'm not 40, but i think a lot of people consider it their "if i'm going to do it, i should do it now" age. because what's the next milesone? 50? 50 has a different ring to it. not to offend anyone here, but when i think 50 i think old and nearing the end of your working life, with most of your accomplishments behind you.

so OP could very well be going through a mid-life crisis. crisis is just the wrong word for it and has a negative connotation. it's more like a mid-life awakening and course correction. we've been told to go to school, go to work, and then keep going on the same track without thinking. at 40 you've done that for around 15 years, and that's sort of the sweet spot for proficiency at your job and promotions to management. if you're going to manage, why not manage your own business?

Back