Just sold our SaaS for 6 figures. Honest lessons I wish I knew - would have saved me time

clmorgan

Will try to be as honest as possible

Context: My brother (19) and I (25) sold Simple.ink for 6 digits

What app does: a Notion website builder.

What you can do - lessons learned I’d want to share​

1. Copy something that works…
  • We weren’t the first Notion website builder.
  • But I tried innovating still. If I were smarter (I’m not, but at least not as dumb as I was initially), I’d just copy something that already exists and works → add my take on it.
  • Don’t copy as in steal. But copy and add the things you think you can do better. You’ll always figure some stuff out you can do better, even if it’s down the line.
2. … or stay in the lab
  • Or maybe you want to keep inventing stuff. Good luck. My first success was that - and then my next 3-5 attempts were failures because I thought I had to invent new software products.
  • My first success was pure luck, btw. And I’m the first one to admit.
  • I tried replicating that luck - and burnt about $100,000. When we started building something that was already validated, we sold the company (this one)
3. Build smth you’d want to acquire
  • Sound trivial but... put yourself in the shoes of someone who’s acquiring. They have money - they want to make their money make more money. That's it.
4. Actually just copy something that works
  • It’s the same as point 3 but…
  • Innovation is for geniuses and losers
  • The problem is, you only find out if you’re a genius/loser months or even years after.
  • From my POV, I don’t care how smart I am, I care about getting rich
  • When I say Rich = rich in the right way. Provide a lot of value to people and, in a fair way, charge for that.
5. Turn a buck
  • Profit. We optimised for profit. Idk what else to tell you other than do the same
  • You might say "obviously I'll do that" but I actually mean it. Not for me, but for your acquirer
  • I haven’t sold like DeepMind sold to Google. I didn’t raise VC money. So idk what to tell you about that path. I sold something that was very profitable, operated in a very lean manner. I suggest you do the same - for your mental health (see next point) and for your acquirer.
6. You can only sell when you don’t necessarily have to sell
  • That’s leverage. That’ll protect you from making stupid decisions, accept lowballs, thinking short-term, etc
  • Deal goes through? Great. Deal falls? Great.
7. Farmer, not hunter
  • I’d avoid: FB/Google ads, PR, “going viral”, etc. “Hunting” is one-off
  • I didn’t really suceed at going viral, though I tried loads of stuff… ultimately SEO was the way we were farmers. Farming keeps on reaping benefits
  • This isn’t some wisdom mantra here. It’s because of one thing and one thing only: YOUR ACQUIRERS WILL WANT TO REAP THE BENEFITS OF YOUR FARMING.
  • THEY CAN'T DO THAT FOR HUNTING.
  • See point 1 - you wouldn’t spend $1M on an influencer’s stupid company if all its success came down from their influencing.
  • MRR comes every day thanks to those 2 nerds SEO, which is faceless/nameless/etc? Yes, I’d buy that.
8. It takes time.
  • No one wants to hear this - I don’t want to hear it either as I’m starting new companies now… but it does. I’m young so idk what else to say here. I’m still impatient…
9. When selling, list the startup everywhere
  • We sold the company through Acquire.com (and paid the fairly-earned 4% commission to them). But really, list the company everywhere - even when you’re not selling (see point 6). Twitter, Acquire, Flippa, FB groups, etc. It’s better to have optionality.
  • If you follow point 6, who knows - you might end up with a very good offer/price. And guess what - maybe for that price, you do want to sell!
That’s all I have now, but will think of some more. Why am I doing all this?

In all honesty: I started SaaSPad.co and I want your attention.

I might get 1-2 clients from this post. And for the rest of you, I might just help with info. With SaaSPad, we’re offering a couple of productized services - aimed at one audience: SaaS.

@clmorgan So you sold a business for 6 figures, and your next milestone in life is some shitty SEO scam service? Really?

The SEO services industry is jam-packed with outsourced low-skill work. And 100% of services just want money upfront with no ranking results guarantee whatsoever. Just some scammy screenshots and "trust me bro".

With all the capital and web-dev skills you got, you can do better, c'mon...

This makes me think this post is fake and is just some promo for your SEO services...

But since you started your post with
Code:
Will try to be as honest as possible
, then I know its 100% legit and you are not lying, right?

@theflagen430297 What's scummy about SEO? The screenshots I've shared are from my companies - they are my results.

Yep, a lot of low-skill work in SEO but - in the past, a lot of my SEO work and numbers are transparently shared on twitter

I'm looking to offer my services since they recently got validated. Don't see anything wrong with that

@clmorgan You change the title tags, add a few keywords, image tags, then you say "now you gotta wait, SEO takes time, we don't own Google so we can't guarnatee results".

And you charge a crazy monthly fee.

Scam.

Best SEOs can rank their own sites and make money from those. The ones who offer the service, can't rank shit and just pass on the risk to the customer, while collecting money.

Scam industry.

@clmorgan "I posted screenshots bro"

Lmao, so did every make-money-online scam from 1998 onward. Not new.

SEO is an absolute scam industry. Littered with crap, no guaranteed results, shady figures. Pay upfront, zero guarantees, people just "hope it works." After the checks clear you have zero accountability

@clmorgan All 9 of your points are spot on, though a bit cringe with the "We achieved success using SEO"... "now buy my SEO services"

You're going to get crushed trying to sell 3-5k retainer content writing services when AI can already replace you, and it will only get more severe. SEO firms are dead men walking, especially when so overpriced and not even mention a of backlink deliverables.

You realize your price per 10k words is absolutely outrageous right? Even for non-AI.

@613jono I disagree with you sentiment here. What the seo client is truly buying is potential sales/leads. If a 5k retainer can produce 15k in return, then some may argue that the service is well worth it.

Put another way, if the content is so good that it generates a return far in excess of the cost of service, it would be hard to argue that the cost of service was outrageous.

@613jono AI won't necessarily take you to top positions in google

Sure, it'll write content.

We're not a content factory, so price per words is not what we're selling

@clmorgan Why’d you sell a profitable saas to move to client work? Do you have different goals within business besides MRR? Feels like client work would be a step back, genuinely just curious. Was the price just too good?

@hiscosmicgoldfish3 Price was good yes

Starting client work because I want to create an "engine" around creating more SaaS companies. And if it has to be client work first, so I can scale that, so be it

I used to think client/agency work used to be a step back too when I was getting MRR (still do through other companies) - but tbh:
  1. Grass is green on the other side. MRR, agency, digital products, etc — they all have ups and downs (Except maybe brick and mortar...)
  2. At the end of the day, nothing is perfect

@clmorgan Also I found an error on your site,under “FAQs”, first dropdown “Are there any meetings/calls?”, second to last line of the answer, it says “As a consequence, wedo not communicate…” , just FYI. Very nice looking site btw

@613jono No, maybe a few or many years in the future.

But to right now. Man-made SEO is still going strong, in fact, the best SEO experts use ChatGPT to haste their workflow... but nevertheless, it needs to be heavily edited by a human to truly work.