Quoting my job tomorrow

brownie

There it is, this time tomorrow I’ll be unemployed. I’ve worked at my job at a locally owned turf management company for 6 years. I’ve been the manager for the past 2 1/2 years. I make 60k with 7.5% profit sharing, insurance, cell phone, gas card and a company vehicle for commuting.

I refinanced my house and lowered my payment by$350 a month and don’t have my next payment until July. I’ve got 12k in savings. Financed my ride on spreader sprayer for 9k with $1500 down and 0% interest for 48 months with my first payment due in September. I’m financing a truck tomorrow.

I’ve made a good connection with one of my suppliers and he has put me in contact with 2 landscapers who are having me bid on a lot of properties. They aren’t happy with the service their getting from their current lawn treatment company, the biggest complaint is they don’t answer their phones. In exchange for the referrals I bought my ride on machine through him and have verbally agreed to buy all of my products from him for any clients he sends my way, he’s fairly priced so it’s a win win.

Another landscaper, a family friend, has really been pushing me to start my own business for years. He sent me 3 contacts and I made my first sale today over the phone.

My wife made a post in local fb page for natural moms and told them about my natural bug sprays, with cedar oil and peppermint. The stuff actually works really well and smells great too. She gathered 45 names and addresses I’ll quote tomorrow and Wednesday 2 have already gotten a price and signed up.

I’ve got 4 friends of mine who have signed up for my services as well, I’ll be treating their yards next week after I get my door hangers and lawn flags. I’ll flag their yard when I’m done with the treatment and then place door hangers with hand written quotes on a few neighbors doors.

That’s about it, I’ve been working essentially 2 jobs for the past 3 weeks setting everything up so it’s now time to quit my job and dive in.

Note - this type of work requires a charter in my state, you can only be a part of one charter as a license holder, so I unfortunately can’t start my own charter until I leave my current one. I would have preferred to start this out weekend warrior style but I want to be legal from the start.

@brownie Congrats. I quit my job as an electrician 2 years ago. I now am living a much higher quality of life working for myself. I really like your idea of using natural products. I just moved down south and have these super tiny ants that are driving my wife nuts but we have a 2yr old and cant spray conventional bug killer around the house. Good luck on this new chapter of your life!

@infinium I’m a licensed electrician in MA and have been working for a large electrical company for about 12 years now. How was it going from a company to working your own company?