Raised a little over $1M as a pre seed after getting rejected from YC 3 times. AMA

yhong

Title says it all. I could give the spiel of my journey, but figured I’ll just answer any questions

One thing I do want to say is that building a business is really hard. Every day you’ll feel like you are getting you stomach linings ripped out. But you’ll find success you just have to keep pushing. Don’t let a YC rejection deter you. Just because they don’t invest in you doesn’t mean your on to something. Just keep building, selling, and hustling. I’m an idiot. If I can do it, so can all of you

@yhong A few red flags about this post. He stated that he raised $1M at a $12M valuation and gave up 12%, which doesn't add up.

If you give up 12% for $1M, then your valuation would be a little bit higher than $8M.

A founder of an AI platform who actually completed a successful fundraising would know that, but I guess a dev shop in Sri Lanka wouldn't ;)

@613jono Furthermore he says the company has 400K in annual contracts already. A B2B firm at this stage would have no reason to raise such a small seed round and would be looking for a series A.

@iansek yes this is all nonsense. It's like people need post karma or something so this must be an easy goat to points trick that people keep doing.

@sweetheart1 Yup, I just pinged a ton of people on LinkedIn. If you go on LinkedIn and search up early stage investors, you’ll find a ton. Just ping any and everyone of them.

But again it only makes sense to do this if:
- You have some semblance of a product built
- Traction
- Customers

With cold out reach, I always hit them some message on my company followed with:
- An investor memo (this should be a long document on why your building,what you’re building, why is it relevant, GTM strategy, moat, team, etc
- Website
- Pitchdeck
- Data Room
- The opportunity to line them up with a customer reference

They take this way more seriously

@remnant72 $400K in Annual contracts, MRR is a bit of not the right label since some of the payments come in quarterly. 20 customers in total (technically we are still in a bit of a beta). And yes but it’s like AI B2B and I suppose it’s more like developer tooling

@vividrichard It’s a lot of time and effort. You should focus on speed if you’re building a start up and anything you can do to talk to customers faster is the route you should take

@yhong We are offering a free trial of Designer As a Service. If you are interested, let me know.
If you guys have your engineering team it's great, else we can also do the development :)