Sba lender wants 10 yrs of taxes

@ledbythespirit Here is a good article that outlines the differences between the two.

https://www.roedl.com/insights/ma-d...deal-versus-asset-deal-transaction-structurin

Basically in an asset deal, you start up a new company and buy the assets/liabilities that you want/need to run the business... even know from the outside it may appear to be the same business, you are a new entity, this helps shield you as a buyer from a lot of liability, and depending on the type of company can come with depreciation benefits as well.

A share deal on the other hand, you are buying the shares of the original company - essentially taking it over, most sellers want this as it can come with some tax benefits for the seller and means they don't have to deal with possible costs of closing their business or any outstanding liabilities/assets the buyer didn't want to take over.

Which type of transaction makes sense is going to depend on what type of business you have and you both should be taking advice from a deal team including a lawyer and an accountant, for instance some vendor/client/employee contracts will need to be renegotiated in an asset deal, where they would just roll over to the new owner in a share deal, and that renegotiation could completely change the value of the business.

ps I will likely be doing $3-500k on a seller note on standby. ugh….

Having some form of sellers note is relatively normal in most business sales, especially when you know the buyer, you know the business better than anyone else and should have an idea of whether or not it can handle the debt or not better than anyone else at least in the relatively short term (12-36 months). That makes you the ideal person to raise money from for the transaction, unless you are looking for an all cash deal.

Keep in mind that if you do need cash, you can often sell your sellers note for 80-95% of its full value as an annuity.

@ledbythespirit Ive never worked with a loan officer that wasn’t bordering on legally mentally incompetent and tweeking over ever tiny thing that didn’t match perfectly with what they expected to see worse than a meth head on day 5 of being awake while they fought and ran from the shadow people.

@ledbythespirit I run an SBA Division for a bank. This is simply an issue with the form. The 8821 form states this and cannot be changed but the IRS will only respond with at most 4 years. The IRS archives all taxes that are older. It is frustrating for those of us in this business but the 8821 is the only reliable way to get the transcripts. The alternative is a 4506T and that form results in repeated failed responses from IRS and weeks of delays. The transcripts / report that comes back with the 8821 do come with status of any tax payment plans, delinquent payroll taxes etc which most SBA lenders consider good risk mitigation.

@ledbythespirit Who is the SBA lender working for?

The buyer. Not you.

If the buyer wants to buy this, they can start doing some work. You're welcome to decline to provide anything.

Frnakly, the SBA has approved deals on projects and credit scores alone, to jump through hoops like this is laughable.

@tkchapin This is true…the buyer had 3 banks turn her down because she’s green and went about it wrong. She was trying to do an SBA 504 to pay lest interest but banks knew that an over inflated building is fishy.

Also i steered her to a 7a. First guy said no because he would not look at Ad Backs… but sent her to i iBusiness who somehow works with Ready Capital… all a little grey.

So far I’m providing most of what they ask bc I assumed that’s just the rigorous SBA process - but this week alone it’s been 7-8 hours a day of verifications from them.

I want to sell and the deal is right - and so I’m trying to be ‘eye on the prize’ as my biz coach says…and jump through the hoops to get it done.

But this 10 year tax ask is bizarre