Top 10 Reddit Startups

channeljoel228

What do you think are the top 10 startups from active Redditors? I've spent a few years on r/startups+entrepreneur and seen many good and bad presentations. Here are my selections:

1) imgur (MrGrim) -- From the site: "Imgur started on the social news site Reddit.com as a way for people to share their images with the community. Most imgur users are also redditors..." The company has overtaken traditional hosts such as TinyPic and now has over 15 million images uploaded each month.

2) MaidsInBlack (LocalCaseStudy) -- A maid service covering Maryland and the surrounding states. The owner has built a massive following describing his exact process and results, as he expands, in his personal subreddit r/EntrepreneurRideAlong (his original post). He is currently expanding into many more states.

3) WhatRunsWhere (NonPoliticalAccount) -- This company crawls the internet and tracks the source, placement and provider of online advertisements. The information is gathered and sold to other businesses. The company has been featured in TechCrunch and has opened offices in Canada and the US. They have no debt and are currently having an "exceedingly successful" year.

4) Fitocracy (xenowang) -- This NYC-based company began on r/fitness as an attempt to "gamify" exercise with goals, points and social exchanges. They have been featured on LifeHacker, CNN, Penny Arcade and more. Tons of redditors use this app for their workouts.

5) PaleoPax (lxmorj) -- A subscription service and online e-commerce store providing snacks that conform to Paleo diet requirements. The owner has successfully built a subscriber base but is now exploring other channels for expansion, including gym distribution partnerships and email marketing.

6) Scirra (ThomasGullen) -- A 2011 software startup, based in the UK, that helps users make their own HTML5 video games. The company sees over 100k unique visitors per month. They have been reviewed in .NET magazine and are quickly expanding as happy customers refer their fellow gamers.

7) 2600hz (Josh2600hz) -- This team of redditors offers a complete API-based voice, SMS, & video communications platform. They are bootstrapped, 20+ employees, profitable and less than 2 years old.

8) italki (zcom8) -- A community for learning any language online. This service connects teachers and learners to each other for free, and then facilitates communication-driven lessons. They have been featured in TechCrunch, Mashable, The Guardian and other publications.

9) Morninghead (shreddor) -- This startup sells the most practical novelty item of all time - a special shower cap that allows men to wet their hair instantly. They have received publicity through Boston Innovation, CT News, Metro Boston and others. In February, Morninghead launched a successful crowd funding campaign with a $1000 goal that raised over $6,000 on Kickstarter! The founder is active and enthusiastic on r/entrepreneur.

10) PCPartPicker (pcpartpicker) -- An online store for building computers using comparisons, sharing and unique selection tools. Built as a side project by a father of two with a full-time job, all while participating in r/buildapc. He has now begun managing the company for a living, according to his comment.

11) alienblue (alienblue) -- Alien Blue is a feature packed client for browsing Reddit. It has been developed from the ground-up for an intuitive touch-screen experience. It is one of the top 5 news apps in the world's largest app store. They also run a subreddit with around 40,000 subscribers.

12) mealshare.org (mealsharedotorg) -- The byproduct of a conversation in r/food, this company allows users near eachother to set up meals! They have 5 employees at the moment, as well as users on 6 continents covering over 36 countries closing in on 100,000 meals shared with friends.

13) Hackers & Founders (elgringo) -- The largest community of early tech founders in Silicon Valley, with over 10,000 members. They also have 36 chapters of assoc. meetups around the globe. They have recently launched an incubator http://coop.cx/. Run by an active redditor who is friends with several members of the reddit team.

14) DropCanvas (cyberbet & sehns) -- Instant drag and drop file sharing for rapidly putting up all file types, not just images. "We love you guys!" Here’s the original thread.

15) Higher Computing for Everyone (CarlH) -- Started as just a way to help Redditors learn how to program, and now it has grown into a website getting thousands of visits per day, over 11 thousand subscribers on the subreddit /r/carlhprogramming , and a lot of interest.

Nominate more and we can improve this list! You may also enjoy:

@channeljoel228 It was never intended to be, but somehow it has become a startup...

I just started this as just a way to help Redditors learn how to program, and now it has grown into a website getting thousands of visits per day, over 11 thousand subscribers on the subreddit /r/carlhprogramming , and a lot of interest.

Higher Computing for Everyone

@joe116 I've been programming for 25 years (the last fifteen or so of which have been professionally) and I still followed your courses because they made me a better teacher.

Which is to say, thanks.

@nairna Thank you for your kind words. The feedback I have received since starting this has been overwhelmingly positive, and it has motivated me greatly.

@owenknoelle Good idea. I'm realizing that I left a lot of great candidates out. Maybe I should make an 'honorable mention' section or simply expand to Top 15.

This entire list will be re-posted once I get more details from the redditors involved. I will gather some financial data and other unique information that is more intriguing overall.

@owenknoelle I remember. Soapier was an existing business that had fallen on hard times. The son of the owner got on Reddit and said, hey, buy some of our nice soap, and so everyone did, effectively saving the business.

@leviishere Pretty much all the original reddit guys who decided to leave have some connection to Hipmunk. The only one I can think of who left and didn't have some connection to Hipmunk is jedberg.

Back