Top 10 Reddit Startups

@channeljoel228 Any list without the Alien Blue Reddit app is lacking a major contribution from a Redditor.

This app is the #1 Reddit client, it's one of the top 5 "news" apps in the world's largest app store. It has sold thousands upon thousands of copies. The subreddit for this app is up to nearly 40,000 subscribers--it recently was highlighted over at /r/SubredditoftheDay.

The iPad and iPhone apps (two separate apps customized for two separate devices) are phenomenal pieces of software and they are built and supported by 1 magical wizard from Australia. The break out success of this app and this developer earns him a spot on any list of this type.

@daylecranfield Welcome to the Cult of Alien Blue. You are soon to become an ABuser. Don't forget to check out the discovery section of the app. It's a great way to find cool new subreddits contributed by other AlienBlue users.

@channeljoel228 Also remember that he didn't make it for reddit exclusively. He made a corresponding "Hey I made this for you" post to digg as well (since it still somewhat rivaled reddit back then).

@channeljoel228 How about us: BrightNest. We make home ownerships and home maintenance easy with personalized how-to's and reminders, the ability to assign tasks to your fellow house members, and the ability to store your house details in the Homefolio.

We:
edit: Here's an announcement/AMA I did in /r/DIY a while back

@lisaan Would need some details on why that should be considered successful. There are 100's of startups from active redditors (this was originally meant to showcase the r/startups+entrepreneur communities) so I'm trying to choose the best ones.

@channeljoel228 Well - if you hang around in /r/fitness (high sub count), you will see a ton of people post there. A lot of it is rudimentary questions (is creatine good for you? How do I lose weight?)

So two things split out of that:
  1. A bunch of subreddits form. /r/weightroom/ /r/advancedfitness/ /r/leangains/ (I mod that) /r/loseit/ /r/supplements/ etc
  2. In a bid to put all of the information coming via the primary /r/fitness/ and bunch of satellite subs, Examine.com was made.
So why successful?
  1. As someone who frequents the queue, Examine makes answering questions a lot faster and easier. Is creatine safe for you? Do you need to cycle it? Is it a steroid? Is saturated fat bad for you? Will diet soda make me gain fat? All of these (a lot of them myths) are not only answered, but heavily cited.
  2. Their revenue model is "here is the science behind x supplement, and it helps with a, b, c. Want to buy it? Buy it via Amazon"
Silverhydra and herman_gill (aka Mr Vitamin D) have done a shit ton if helping answer fitness questions, clearing up myths, and making a buck or 50 in between.

I would not put them ahead of a juggernaut like imgur, but I think they are a great example of an organic establishment arising purely from reddit's needs.

@channeljoel228 I think Mojang/Minecraft should get an honorable mention. The Mojang team are very active on reddit and reddit has been incredibly influential on the development and success of Minecraft. Many people found out about Minecraft through /r/Minecraft, which has since become one of the largest and most active communities on reddit, and many, many features currently in the game started as suggestions on that subreddit.

Not sure if that fits the criteria you're looking for, but in terms of companies/products that are linked to reddit, there few more accurate or more successful examples (Mojang is only a couple years old, very much an indie development house, and would likely be the largest business, revenue-wise, on your list).

Back