Trying to help 75 Y.O technology illiterate car part merchant convert online...

chinchilla

Hi everyone,

I do marketing for businesses, and I was recently called by one of my clients friends.

He basically wants to start selling his car parts online.

My client had told me about him before, and he basically told me this guy is like 100% technology illiterate, like he can turn on a computer and thats about it, but he is eager to start selling online, and even asked me to make a website for him.

So, I worked out a strategy.

I basically decided I was going to make an eBay account for his business (So its easier to ships things out) and then have his eBay account connected to the website I'm going to create, and then have stuff on his website cheaper than it is on eBay. So not only is his website gaining traction online, but it will get traction locally as-well, because I'm going to help him create a business profile as-well.

Come to find out, this guy doesn't even have a phone, he uses a landline, I don't know if he has a computer yet either.

Anyway, my question was, how should I help this guy? I know he wants to convert online and he is more than willing to, but I am worried if I give him to much stuff to process something could go wrong.

@chinchilla I would suggest to have him bring in someone to manage that for him, selling online is a hassle besides keeping track of the inventory you also have to deal with customer service, shipping and returns.

Most customers now days expect a lot from online sellers.

You can also offer him a partnership where you make a percentage of the online sales.

@chinchilla And let me guess, there is no upfront element to the remuneration so you have to start for free and hope.

You have to screen out bad clients and this sounds like a bad client. Or it would seem like a bad client except in this situation it isn’t even clear if they want to be a client, the only thing we have heard is that some informal
Intermediary thinks he should be a client.

If the client really wants to be a client and is willing to pay for services than this just becomes a can you do the job question.

@chinchilla You’re describing someone who might need weeks to months of training and reminding and more training - and most vintage parts don’t have graphics online, will client know how to take photos, upload, sku’s , descriptions? Etc?

Or will you be doing all this for client?

Be sure to price the service accordingly - you might also agree to a commission agreement where you handle all logistics of online sales, your commission is 25% for all the time/labor/expenses instead of a set fee - this motivates you to maximize sales as much as possible to increase your commission - but unless this will be a high volume low drama operation, may not be worth it either way

Ymmv

Back