trying to start a business with 1000$ any suggestions ??

gilligan7

hi! i am trying to start a small side hustle, however i can only afford around 1k maybe maximum 2.5k and i have no clue what i can do with such number?

p.s : i am at Washingtons state.

@gilligan7 there's a daily podcast called Side Hustle School that has over 2,000 5-minute episodes each one interviewing people about their side hustle. Start listening until you find one that fits your skill and location-needs and steal their ideas - thats what its there for.

@stevebhopes Not only stealing, but it allows you to get your brain on that frequency. You basically reprogram it to think about business, the more you consume about business the more you’re creativity and energy will be delegated to it. I read “Influence” a must-read imo about marketing, “Becoming your own banker” is a short book I liked and moneymojo.beehiiv.com. Some advice I’d give you is to keep your money, start out with the minimal amount possible, try to grow organically and then start investing into it, it will be a bit slower, but better overall. Find something you like, it will help you out a lot and Enjoy the journey, those are the two things I understand now as a business owner with a lot of failures behind my back. These two things are at the core of success imo. Ohhh and read books and minimize short-form content and overall content consumption. If you dont wanna buy just download them from zlibrary, be careful I was recently scammed the original site is this or check it out on wikipedia

@gilligan7 Take some time to brainstorm, don’t rush into anything, evaluate every idea, the potential market, pros, cons, and in the end, try to start a business with no money, other than the registration fees for the state registration and federal ein and what not. You can start small and test the waters before doing that, but once you start making any money consistently, I would go through and get everything legal, get insurance, you know the whole shebang. what comes to mind is dog, walking, dog poop picking up, that gives you a weekly recurring client base, I’m not sure if you have a truck and trailer or you could do lawn care, if you have a pick up truck you can do junk removal, which is what I do.

@gilligan7 In hindsight, I wish I would’ve started with a pick up truck and just done the simple loads like that advertising on craigslist, I went big, I’ve got a rolloff trailer with dumpsters, so I could do dumpster rentals house cleanouts and junk removal. The high overhead and payments as well as expensive insurance and maintenance on trailer makes the net profit small. If you are only going around picking up small stuff at a premium in a vehicle you daily drive anyway that’s under 10,000 pounds you probably don’t need DOT numbers, can get away without commercial insurance, and can make some pretty good side money, growing the business before you get into all of that. Check with your states local Department of transportation, regulations and waste hauling regulations, I know states like West Virginia waste management has complete control, and will sue you if you open up business. if you don’t have a truck, I recommend getting a gas F350 or even better an old, reliable box truck, you can do moving, you can throw the junk in it. It doesn’t get wet if it rains and then you can throw it away. It doesn’t cost you extra, and when it’s time to scale the business and get an employee in the truck, which you should budget for from day one you have a vehicle that stuff won’t fly out of on the highway and you can trust somebody to drive around.

@gilligan7 Started two years ago, business fluctuates up and down with the season, spring summer and fall of the busy, winter you don’t want to do anything anyway. It’s pretty easy to make between 10 and $20,000 a month when people are calling you, but when there’s crazy stuff happening in the news, you can tell that people don’t wanna spend their money and the phone calls dry up. Think of it this way, $75 per cubic yard, you can get 5 to 10 yd.³ in a pick up truck you do the math and how many loads per day you need to make whatever amount of money you want, and then fulfill the amount of marketing required to fill that number of loads.

@rishley I’m curious where you’re located? I’m in Washington PNW, I also have a junk removal company but I only charge $45 a yard, I don’t know that I could charge more as it’s the usual rate.

Edit, after a reread it seems like West Virginia.

Back