Tutoring service

jonalogy

Hello,

I’m a lurker here and I want to launch my small thing. Y’all said to just do the damn thing so here I am. It’s not “sweaty sweaty” but it makes the cut I think lol.

I’m a graduate student in Maths. I’m usually a TA, changing course I teach every semester so I did most of them already (and the ones I didn’t do look all alike).

I want to launch a tutoring business on campus. What I have on my mind right now is to do some tutoring sessions of :
- 2 hours each.
- small group (5-6 persons max).
- 20$ per person for the 2 hours.

I have past subject and exams and I tutor on the side for agency since 5 years (since my 2nd year of university).

I’m planning to:
- create a website, with online bookings for sessions.
- use the list of student I have already, 300 emails address for marketing.
- ads on Facebook and Instagram.
- google ads too.

I can use some quiet space for 6/7 people at the library. Just have to make reservations before.

Did I forget anything?
What can you give me as advice?

I can do the website myself and have a budget of 400$ for the first months. Ads, etc

@jonalogy
  1. Don't worry about ads for now. You don't need them if you are already on campus and should be finding your guys organically. Word of mouth and other organic methods should work for you just fine, if there is enough demand.
  2. Can you not just post flyers around the campus? Simply print out 100-200 A4s and you can get a word out without having to spend $$ on ads.
  3. If you think creating a website would add a lot of credibility to you, go ahead with it, but honestly, I feel like here a Facebook group will do just fine to start off with.
Good luck.

@crunchihuahua 1) Yes I’ll add word of mouth too.
2) I could do that yes, what informations should go on the poster in your opinion?
3) The Facebook group is also a good idea or do you talk about a Facebook page?

@jonalogy Facebook groups is usually a good place to have a discussion/forum where you can publish snippets of your advice/lessons for students/

For the poster that depends entirely on your experience up until now. What lessons did your students value the most? What was the best thing about your lessons according to their feedback? What's your main selling point (is it the price? Convenience? Something no one else offers?)

Pick 2-3 of the above, and write them down in huge letters on your posters.

@jonalogy I worked with a tutoring company earlier this year to help them drive more benefit from their website (I co-run a digital marketing agency)

Here are the top tips for your marketing:

1) When you're looking at SEO, the search results are HYPER local for people searching for tutoring

This is the stuff I recommend doing ASAP.

Make sure you set up a Google My Business listing for yourself. You'll need a physical address but it's OK to use your home. You could use another space but, to verify with Google, you need to be able to receive a postcard to that address. The postcard contains a verification code.

When you build your website you'll need to create one page per subject you tutor - people look for "maths tutors near me", "physics tutors near me" so you need a dedicated page for Google to put in their search results.

EDIT: Just seen your maths based. That's easy... you probably just need a single, long page website that lists what you cover, testimonials, etc.

If you have any contacts with your university newspaper, see if you can get them to link to your website. It will help your rankings if the university / local publications link to you.

In general, make sure your website looks modern and is FULL of testimonials.

You should be asking EVERY person you tutor to leave you a review on your Google My Business page, at a minimum. Get your friends to leave you reviews. Contact people who you've tutored in the past to leave reviews.

Reviews = better rankings and more $$$

2) Don't bother with Google Ads initially, at least not in the normal way

You're going to be up against national tutor firms who can afford to pay more than you. Don't waste your cash.

If you do want to do it then you'll need to do two things:

a) Make a single lead gen page to send people to, e.g.

https://www.affordableacademicsuccess.com/

Unbounce is a good tool to build them in: https://unbounce.com/

b) Make sure your Google Analytics is set up properly - if you've not got goals set up and things aren't tracking properly, you're fucked

Basically... don't do Google Ads... you'll drive yourself insane and waste time if you don't know what you're doing at this stage :)

When you use paid-for advertising there are a few calculations you need to make:
  • What's my profit per new customer? - in your case, I'm going to assume each student will do, on average, five sessions with you. That gives them a "lifetime value" of $100.
  • How much can I spend to obtain new customers? - That number needs to be less than $100 or you're making no money. To obtain new customers you either spend your time or cash.
  • For ads, you're going to be sending people to the website. How much will it cost per visitor you send? - Assume that, through Google Ads, you'll be paying about... holy fuck, lowest estimate is $3 per click... average looks about $5. Every click on your ad will cost you $3-7... obviously a lucrative / competitive market.
  • What percentage of my website visitors will convert to paying customers? - Assume this will be about 5%... that's a fairly high estimate, but feels reasonable for what to expect.
  • Put it all together... - So, 5% conversion rate means you'll need 20 visits for a new student. 20 visits will cost you $60. That means you'll make $40 profit from each student who does 5 sessions with you. Doable... but tight. If your website conversion rate is only 2.5% then it'll cost you $120 per new customer and you are fucked! If you're paying $5 per click you're basically going to go bankrupt in a week.
You'd need to know your website conversion rate and then start doing the maths on your pricing structure to work out affordability.

Avoid Google Ads! (this is coming from someone who runs a digital agency...)

3) Ads on Facebook and Instagram are a good shout, but can be pricey

Again, I'd wait to do FB ads until you've got a decent website.

I'd consider doing all your business from an FB company page at first. Focus on building up the biz through word of mouth and flyering at first.

4) TOP TIP - Have a referral program

You're targeting students who are always low on cash. Tell the people you tutor that, for every person they refer, who does X sessions with you, you'll give them $Y for it. You'll need to work out that %age.

If you assume that, with any other advertising, e.g. Google Ads, you're going to be spending money to get new customers anyway, you could comfortably offer your students $20 for every new student they send your way. Still way less than the low-end estimate of $60 per new student through Google Ads.

Hope some of this helped :) My Ritalin just kicked in so I got pretty focused on this haha

@christlovesuperwax Thank you for taking the time to write such a long answer. I’m grateful really.
  1. Everything is spot on. I will definitely use your recommandations.
  2. Okay for the % and the explanations for the ads. I will check everything out and see if it’s still make Google ads initially.
  3. Okay I see what you mean. Somebody said to use a Facebook group too. What’s your take on the difference between Facebook group and page? Both? Or should I focus on one
  4. Referral is definitely a good idea. I will put that in place and work on the percentage. I was also thinking about a 10% off for recurring students but since 20$ is not a lot already and it will convert to just 2$ off I don’t know if it’s a good idea.
Thank you again.

@jonalogy Collect money up front. I have tried to do the tutoring thing in the past and have had people not want to pay. Hanging up fliers , only to have others take them down. Definitely have a convenient spot on campus and don't play the game of trying to fight rush hour traffic. I would be very hesitant to use email from class lists as that (probably) would be considered a conflict of interest with the university. What agency do you currently tutor for?

@eyelovesjesus I’m tutoring for two agency , one called Millenia and the other Alert study. Small local agencies in my town.
For the email address, I see what you mean but without this list I’m back to 0, because I have no potential client.
What do you mean by rush hour traffic?

@peacerespect Canada ! And it’s because it’s a group thing so if I’m full (exam period can be for sure) it will be 60$ per hour since there will be 6 students at the same time. Still a bad idea?

@jonalogy Not a bad idea, just need to reevaluate your price model. I would charge minimum $100 USD for a two hour session. If we're talking advanced math courses, I'd charge much more. You can raise your prices and still market your tutoring as the least expensive way to boost your GPA. Keep in mind, students spend thousands on books and tens of thousands on tuition. What's a few hundred bucks in tutoring? Especially if that tutoring will make or break their grade?

@peacerespect Yes you are right on this, maybe 20$ is a bit cheap. I’ll see around what the competitions is offering because I also need to enroll some students quickly (need the money lol)
It’s mainly for first and second year maths ! Basic courses usually.

@jonalogy I'm not sure what university rules and guidelines you have to follow but my initial idea for marketing is to speak with professors you are familiar with in attempt to get them to refer students to you.