We are almost half way through the year ; how are y’all doing ?

prettyxdee

As the title states, how are you all doing in both business & personal ? Interested to hear trials and tribulations you’re currently facing both financially and socially as a small business owner .

Personally - we are pretty stagnant, one good month followed by one bad month . Can’t seem to break out & really rubs off on my personal life as I would love to pursue more life ‘fun’ things but am stuck in constant cycle of making sure payroll is met and the mortgage is paid . Just a 10% avg bump on gross revenue month to month would make a world of difference but it seems the market just won’t allow that : working harder and longer hours appears to yield the same results .

Interested to hear from you all .

@prettyxdee I'm struggling. Sales are down and customers are taking forever to submit their POs. Bills are piling up and creditors are at the door. On top of that, hobbyist competitors are growing in numbers and taking whatever business that's available from the full timers.

@radiantjedichica Yes. I handle mostly commercial, fundraising , and special events. School spirit wear is pretty much locked up with one large vendor but I do get some specialty orders occasionally. I anticipate a last minute rush

@prettyxdee Had a huge drop off in business last June, so we’re finally going to be going up against those numbers instead of the Covid inflated 2021-22 numbers. We put our heads down and got through it, so I’m cautiously optimistic for the second half.

Personally, I’ve never been more over running every aspect of things in my life. 28 years in retail, 26 as a manager or owner. I’m fried. My goal is to get things on autopilot enough to be able to step away by this coming winter so I can escape to somewhere that doesn’t have 8 months of cold weather.

@prettyxdee I build websites for small to medium sized businesses. It’s been a record year of growth for me. Added two other developers to help me with overflow work and trained them for over a year to do things my way and it’s proven a great investment.

@sdjonathan So far, $70k year to date. With the increased subscription revenues if I don’t Make any extra sales I expect another $70k.

I have two packages:

I have lump sum $3500 minimum for 5 pages and $25 a month hosting and general maintenance

or $0 down $150 a month, unlimited edits, 24/7 support, hosting, etc.

$100 one time fee per page after 5, blog integration $500 for a custom blog that you can edit yourself.

Lump sum can add on the unlimited edits and support for $50 a month + hosting, so $75 a month for hosting and unlimited edits.

If I sell at least 1 lump sum a month for the next 7 months that’s another $24k. My devs are contractors working hourly as needed. So most of it is profit. Last year was $121k and in expecting at least $150-160k by the end of the year.

@lilyanna That's the nice pricing. I do offer my services to the agency owners like you and charge around $500 for a 5-pages WordPress based website. If you ever need to outsource the workload, feel free to ping me. I've been in the business for around 8 years already.

Thank you.

@iakobos Sorry. Don’t do Wordpress. Everything is custom coded and my guys usually cost $200-$260 per job. They’re also based in the US and UK. I set up a perfect workflow for them to build my sites in less than 5 hours so it’s economical.

@prettyxdee The difference is code quality, load times, the level of customization that I have, security, accessibility, and uptime.

The biggest issue custom coding fixed is page speed and Load times. pagespeed is a problem for a lot of small businesses. Many devs will say it doesn’t matter, and to an extent they’re right, the page speed score is not a ranking factor. HOWEVER, the core vitals metrics are significant ranking factors, and the performance score in the core vitals are a reflection of those metrics. So maximizing your performance score reflects passing core vitals which gives your Website an edge over others. Google even stated that if there’s two websites with similar content and domain authority, the one with the better core vitals will win. So it’s incredibly important to do everything you can to maximize that score to 95+ to give your client the best possible performance and ranking. Once you explain that to clients and how it all works they love it. Because they had no idea that was even a thing and their Wordpress did wix or squarespace sites are scoring 17/100 and they don’t know how to fix it. Many devs would say clients don’t care how a site is built or about page speed and load times. Those devs aren’t thinking like businessman. They’re looking at it like developers and not seeing the reason for it - because they don’t know they SHOULD care. They don’t know what we know. And once we sit them down and explain it in very clear terms how websites rank, why how it’s built matters, why how fast the site loads matters, and why it’s hard for builders and other devs to fix those problems and how YOU fix those problems BECAUSE you custom code it and have control over everything. Now all of a sudden they care how a site is made. They care about how fast their site loads. Because their site hasn’t been doing Shit for years and you’re the first person to actually explain why in terms they can understand without using buzzwords or empty hollow promises. Your job as a salesman and agency owner is to sell solutions. The devs who think they don’t care about how a website is built or how fast it loads are just selling websites. That’s as deep as it goes. The ones who sell solutions have the most success. In order to sell a solution you need to identify a problem. And for small businesses, they don’t know those problems exist. So we have to educate them and help them understand what the problems are, why they’re problems, and how you fix them. That’s your sales pitch in a nutshell. And that’s how I close like 9/10 clients I got on a call with. I explain things to them no one ever took the time to explain before and I didn’t talk down to them. They understood everything. They finally get it. That’s exciting. They found the solution to their problems. And it’s you.

That’s the biggest sales point. Then I can go into how we can cater to accessibility and make sure our sites are compliant with WCAG 2.0 and 2.1 standards which is hard to do in a builder, then security because a static html and css site is virtually impossible to hack because there’s nothing TO hack. No databases or server side code to hijack. No Wordpress versions to update. You can set it and forget and not worry about it being hacked. It’s as secure as it can be.

That’s how I sell it. You need to identify problems that small businesses have with these page builder sites to be able to sell a solution to fix those problems. That’s the core of how to do sales. If the client doesn’t know they have problems then what can you even say to get them to switch? If they don’t know, then you need to educate them. A good salesman is also a good teacher. And a lot of my pitches revolve around educating them.

@prettyxdee Healthcare private practice and I moved my business late 2023 to a place where insurance reimbursements are much lower so that’s been a challenge getting self pay clients since I loathe marketing but I’m still above water and hoping for more referral sources