We got a YC interview, here's our pitch

@madoxx Gah. Who has a business model around charging $0.99/month? It is hard to get people to pay anything. Once you can get them to pay something, why not have them pay something that isn't in the noise?

@ash1994 I just watched the video. TWO things: 1) slow down a bit. Take a breath between setences. 2) You first explain your product (solution) and then the problem. State the problem first, then how your product solves it.

@ash1994 I'm impressed how when you click the X button to close the snip.ly ad, it loads the page, but doesn't push the previous page into the browser history stack, so you can't press the back button in your browser. I assume some sort of JavaScript trickery is behind that? How's this work?

@ash1994 Interesting concept

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any IP that'll be defensible...and, worst of all there's nothing stopping a service like bit.ly or any of the countless other link shorteners from becoming a competitor overnight.

@ash1994 Nice work. Seems like an API would be pretty key here so that any company can integrate this as an automatic part of their workflow - e.g. When we buffer links they get automatically shortened with our custom branded bitly.

From experience I'd say you'll have difficulty pricing by click volume. I'd recommend picking a price point for advanced features (especially customization and analytics).

Consider that bitly charge $995/mo for their branded offering, I think you'll have more luck up there than in the $10/mo buffer range.

@ash1994 I love this idea. It gave me that "there's all kinds of stuff I could do with this" feeling! My only reservation is that the pricing is pretty high. I feel like it's one thing to pay per click (which your customers are essentially doing) when you're acquiring a new user, but with this model you're charging your customer for a user they already have. A quality company would burn through those 1,000 clicks really quickly. That's about one day for a site that I run and would use this on.

@revtellez Yeah I could see this getting funded but I agree on the #'s there. Maybe something more like 500 free, 2500/5000 for the $10. I'm not really sure but it just seems low.

@ash1994
it’s not just about having more characters in your tweet (Bit.ly)

cool idea but don't discount bit.ly as if the only thing they do is add "more characters in your tweet". their analytics is worth the extra ~20 characters and that's where they make money. be realistic about competitive offerings.

@ash1994 Honestly, I started loosing interest around 20 seconds. By 30 all I could hear was "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah "

You need to show what your product does and how it works, rather than have people try to imagine what it does from your explanation.

It's nice that you're 2 programmers and a designer and I think it's helpful that you seem like nice people but I would try to trim that part of the video to an absolute minimum. 15 seconds at most. Preferably 10. Then demo the product.

@ash1994 Please disable sharing links over sniply.
Could easily lead to phishing, baiting and other unwanted issues.
And adding links would be another priviledge for the subscribers.

@ash1994 Congrats on the interview! Smart, simple idea that hits at a core problem that influencers/marketers care about (conversions).

Why do I have the nagging feeling this is going to make the Internet a worse place? Is there any way it could make it a better place?

@ash1994 1) digg did virtually the same thing years ago. Publishers added JS to kill it off. Stumbleupon switched to plugins for the same reason.

2) Moreover, some publishers sue over their sites being framed. They allege trademark infringement which affords no DMCA-like notice and takedown procedure and no protection from third party liabilities. If you do anything they dislike, you will be sued and you will lose because the law is simply not on your side.

@daniisa those are definitely future concerns but not nearly enough to discourage testing the waters to see if there's any traction. it's a cool idea, and dwelling on hypothetical future road bumps is at best a waste of time, at worst a waste of a good idea.