We spent 40 Days to build a product no one wants to use

niceguy01

What should we do now......😭⁉️ We marketed hard, then it fell back​

We marketed hard, then it fell back

⭐️Thanks for everyone's comments, here is what i learned:​

1: validate asap. Go again but if need be build out a lander and drive traffic before building. credits to @colette123

2: Talk to the target user ASAP. Ask them the facts instead of opinions. Ask questions like, "How many YouTube videos over 1 hour do you watch daily?"

3: Keep the MVP manageable. Our development was slowed by adding too many complex features that no one wants!

4: Stay patient! Keep marketing!

⭐️Help each other to launch on Product Hunt - Founders Club Linkedin Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/14354251/

My Twitter, Let's connect! https://twitter.com/Xavier4AI

⭐️Please vote for the upcoming features! We listen to you !

⭐️ Product Grave - Wanna share your failure projects and mistakes? Let's have a builders chat!

”as a small company, you won't succeed by adding lots of features. You'll succeed by either helping to provide for an unsaturated market, or by doing one or two things better than the competition. Even then, you have to find your users because they will never find you.“ credits to @am29

@niceguy01 I just did a google search for "youtube summarizer" and there's an endless number of these apps doing the same. Seems like the bigger competitors have suite of tools they can sell access to, while the standalone ones are ad supported.

If these numbers are accurate (https://www.similarweb.com/website/youtubesummarizer.com/), there's definitely a market for it. I'd drop pricing, slap some ads on it, and put some energy on ranking for some of these keywords. Maybe once you get some consistent traffic, start expanding you offerings with other paid tools.

@wisprof Oh, totally get where you're coming from! Dug around myself before jumping into building this thing. Honestly, none of the stuff out there really did it for me. Wanted something super user-friendly and free, which kinda sparked the whole project. I mean, I think I've managed to put together something pretty neat, but it's hard to tell if it's just me or if others will feel the same. Appreciate the tips on SEO and maybe rolling with ads. Just trying to make something that really hits the spot for folks like us.

@niceguy01 I think you've slightly missed the mark on the UX and design. It's missing character/brand presence and feels like it uses a UI kit without any tweaking.

Two points immediately:
  • the URL box is very faint, when that's the key interaction element on the page
  • the down arrow looks clickable/like an expanding pane but isn't
Edit: and the error boxes are badly designed/coded and don't tell the user enough (what/why/how to fix it).

@redrider Wondering how to please everyone from history buffs to meme lovers. Thinking of tailoring content with personal prefs or categories—anyone got tips for nailing this?

@sadboi Hmm, this is a controversial topic. We believed that a 2-week period for idea validation was more acceptable. How long did it take you to build your MVP?

@sadboi We initially thought of it as a 'rather small project,' but it turns out we underestimated it. Our desire to create something unique led us to develop many complex features unexpectedly out from nowhere

@sadboi I think 40 days is already enough to build an MVP. You shouldn't take too long time to build it. If you are not embarrassed by your first product, it means you launch too late.

@niceguy01 Mistakes are a good way to learn. I have been to many schools and courses in my life, but nothing has taught me as well as the mistakes of building products that I have made.

Making mistakes is normal and to be expected. But the key is to not repeat the same mistakes the next time. If you can do that, you will always improve. Anyone who has never made any mistakes, has never done anything at all.

Back