WHAT’S MORE EDUCATIONAL: running a restaurant for 6 years or getting an MBA in the same amount of time?

@sandyanna Funny. I was in this situation. I wasn’t gonna get into HBS but could have gone to Sloan or Stern etc

Decided to open a restaurant instead. We’ll celebrate our 5-year anniversary in May. Should sign the lease for our second restaurant before the end of this year.

I think framing it as “what’s more educational” is probably not the right way to view the decision.

What do you want to do with your life? Do you want to start a restaurant, knowing the risk and sacrifices that will entail? Or do you want to go to school for two years and then spend probably at least 5 years after school working for respected companies but very much working as an employee.

They’re pretty different life paths.

EDIT: I’ll add that I had a peer who did go to HBS and worked at McKinsey for nearly a decade. Then he tried starting his own business and failed miserably. I’m not sure what he’s doing now. But the idea that an MBA even from a top school = entrepreneurial success is naive at best.

@iamsuperb I agree about MBAs not being entrepreneurial because education is secondary to problem solving, humility, and being resourceful which is what you have. Congrats on your second location.

@sandyanna These 2 paths provide different skills. Running a restaurant give you the experience on HOW to perform tasks. These will keep the business running smoothly and efficiently.

The MBA give you the WHY on the the requirements on the tasks. It will provide guidance to change the business direction if profits are low or opportunities are being missed.