What I Learned at Amazon that I'm Using to Build a New SaaS Business

pben004

My co-founder posted this thread on Twitter and I thought it was too good not to share here. Solo-preneur to enterprise founder, I think these are valuable principles that all of us can benefit from.

Everyone wants to work at Amazon.

I did. For 5 years.

Here are the top 3 lessons that I learned while I was there:

These work for product. For founders. For program managers. For general managers.

I'm convinced anyone in tech would be better off if they learned these 3 Amazonian skills.

👇👇👇
  1. Make yourself write out your thoughts. There's a lot of chatter about magic documents (like PRFAQ's), but I will tell you there's nothing magical about them.
Hypothesize: write what you think will work.

Measure: find out if it did.

Activate your learning loop w/ writing
  1. Sweat the details more the higher up you go.
So many business leaders elsewhere think they are above the spreadsheets now. The manual processes. The kludgy backend systems.

Not at Amazon.

We obsess over details. We measure everything. No detail is too small not to matter.
  1. Learn how to expose your assumptions and write tenets.
There's a lot of talk about Amazon's customer obsession, but that's really just a tenet that they've exposed publicly.

A tenet is your thinking in advance about how you make hard decisions. It's a principle for choosing.

If you can write a good tenet, you can run a good business.

A tenet is one simple sentence that tells clearly how you choose between two opposing tensions (e.g. end buyers vs. vendors at Amazon).

A good tenet is not obvious in advance. It's written with attitude. It's a teaching tool. It's designed to help you spread your thinking at scale.

Master tenets, and you'll be able to run AND scale a business.

Bonus: you'll also think better and be surprised less often!

One last piece of wisdom: always add the Amazonian "unless you know better" to your tenets and your thinking.

Be humble, write out your thoughts, invite debate.

Let the best idea win!

These 3 skills are what I'm using for the foundation of my new project: Rocketsugar.io. The best part about what these skills have done? We've built out our entire idea and website with an hour of meetings... total.