What service to provide in a unique & competitive area?

@semiprecious What a good idea, thanks for sharing! I was quite surprised when I searched for "Fire Protection services near me" and more than 10 popped up. A quick look shows a few established players but it is worth some research for sure.

@dannyking We slowed down zero during the quarantine. Everybody has fire alarms and fire extinguishers that have to be maintained by law. EVERY SINGLE TYPE OF BUSINESS / GATHERING SPACE HAS TO HAVE BUYER PROTECTION EQUIPMENT SUCH AS EXTINGUISHERS.

Sorry for the caps but it was for emphasis. I almost didn't want to post bc it's a good kept secret lol.

Good luck to you

@adamlost Yeah that's where it can be a little difficult sometimes. In our situation we happen to be near a huge military base and the government has to shop around and get three quotes for each thing so it works out if you can know your industry so you can price competitive quotes. However you may still get shut out because a lot of the pro in big companies know how to game the system and will submit bids they know they can't actually do, but only submit change orders after they've already won the bid.

Just for my time in the industry it seems like most people try and find a company that is on the way out or willing to sell some of its customer list. other than that servicing extinguishers just one of those things you can do in your garage for a number of years before you get on your feet for real.

@dannyking I'd have to say my own industry, Pest Control. Here in some states in the US, some of those listed businesses require regular pest service to stay up with code. Hotels, Airbnb, Bed and breakfasts may not require - but they will definitely use!

It may require a little more preparation with training, but could very well be worth it later on.

@fes3 I hadn't even considered pest control, thanks for the suggestion! A quick look shows a number of companies, all well reviewed. But it's certainly worth looking into more.