What to charge a racist neighbor for a lawn mowing?

nnnnnjor

Sorry for the long-winded question. Weird dynamic here.

Yesterday, when I was giving my lawn its first cleanup and mow of the season, my neighbor slipped $20 in my pocket to mow an overgrown section of his lawn adjacent to mine.

His driveway was widened over the winter, redrawing the common-sense line that has divided where I mow from where he mows. I think this $20 was a courtesy, because I’ll have a little more to mow from now on, which is not a problem.

The problem is, in our little neighborly chat, he insinuated that his health will be preventing him from taking care of the rest of his lawn too, and he told me his former lawn care guy just retired.

He’s working up the nerve to ask me, next week, to be his new lawn care contractor. I can tell.

Now, while I’m a good neighbor—the kind to shovel a nice old lady’s driveway every snowstorm for ten years and never want a dollar for it—this guy’s a big racist who called my friend a “ni__er” once, so I don’t even care that he has cancer; he’s gonna have to pay me.

What’s a decent asking price, week after week, under these circumstances? I don’t want to let a racist take advantage of me, but I don’t want to take unfair advantage of an old person dying of cancer, either, and I don’t want to leave money on the table. Lawn isn’t huge or special, maybe 3,500 to 4,000 square feet. I’m right next door, with a battery-powered push mower and string trimmer and plenty of batteries. In New Jersey.

Thank you.

@nnnnnjor I’d be at $45 for weekly or $55 biweekly but why would you do business with someone that would talk to your friend that way? I’ve been in a similar situation a few times and the answer is “I don’t think our company would be a good fit for you.” There was one time I was asked specifically why and I was just honest, “We hire people of all races and ethnicities and it sounds like some of my employees would not be welcome on your property.” Then I give them a referral to a solo guy and move on.

@nnnnnjor You’re not obligated to help him. And it doesn’t make you a bad person not to. Or a good person to do it.

Give him the name and number of someone who can help and tell him you’re unable to commit to doing the yard.

But the way my petty is set up, I would probably tell him that it really rubbed me wrong how he called my friend a ni***. People like this can’t die fast enough IMO. I hope his oncologist is black.

@liz1019 Thank you for saying what I was thinking. He can fnck off and die, as far as I’m concerned. I just want him to do that without my telling him to.

My mother lives with me too, and for her sake I will absolutely not rock this boat. The only thing she hates is conflict, of any kind. I will not escalate the emotional friction in this neighborhood.

Even just giving him a referral is problematic because I don’t wish him upon any lawn-mowing guy I know! And talking my way out of it (while avoiding the elephant in the room, to appease my mom, and while preserving my integrity) seems unrealistic. That’s why I’m here asking for pricing advice.

@nnnnnjor If it were me I’d make up an excuse not to do it that aligns with his way of thinking. Tell him your electric mower only has enough battery for one lawn. Call it “woke” somehow. Or tell him you can’t, but that you’ll ask your n___er friend if he will.

@nnnnnjor Enough to pay for the full price new robot mower that has the range for both your yards. Google searching looks like that will be $1,500-$2,000, and there are 24 weeks between now and October.

$80 per week gets you $1,920 for a new robot mower so you don’t have to do the work.

I don’t know what a real lawn care company would charge, and if it’s more or less than that. But that wouldn’t stop me from getting a new robot mower out of the situation.

@nnnnnjor If you want money, then take the money… do the job.. and mind your own opinions. If you don’t? Then don’t do the job. It’s as simple as that. What kind of advice are you even looking for? Or do you just want people to hate this man with you.

@jesusloverr I’m sorry, I’m not seeing a price in your comment. Can you point me to where you addressed my question? No.

The kind of advice I’m looking for is exactly what I stated I am looking for: pricing advice.

You’re oversimplifying it on purpose to feel smarter. There are other considerations present, which for the sake of brevity I chose not to mention. Read my other comments if you’re curious, but then keep your opinions to yourself.

@nnnnnjor How about charge him what you would normally charge for that size yard… or don’t accept the work. If you charge him more than normal then you become part of the problem. Two wrongs don’t make a right…

Back